2nd Race with LS1 tonight

crazykid2056

Banned
Apr 27, 2005
Yesterdays, I just got the SLP loudmouth exhaust installed on my '05GT, but this is really the only mod (besides the free mods).

The first time I raced my friends '99 Trans Am (stock with just Flowmaster, 115,000 miles) he destroyed me :( . I was about a car length behind till about 70mph when his Trans Am started pulling hard.

How will my '05GT do tonight with the SLP Loudmouth against the same LS1?

______
2005 GT
SLP loudmouth exhaust

• Sponsors (?)

The ole 3rd gear pull with the LS1s, many of Mustangs have kept up until 3rd gear. 350 cubes is difficult to overcome. I'd think u'd at least need a CAI and a tune with the catback also great driving to get the job done but good luck.

crazykid2056 said:
Yesterdays, I just got the SLP loudmouth exhaust installed on my '05GT, but this is really the only mod (besides the free mods).

The first time I raced my friends '99 Trans Am (stock with just Flowmaster, 115,000 miles) he destroyed me :( . I was about a car length behind till about 70mph when his Trans Am started pulling hard.

How will my '05GT do tonight with the SLP Loudmouth against the same LS1?

______
2005 GT
SLP loudmouth exhaust
one car length doesn't sound like getting destroyed to me. I mean on the street how long is it taking to get to 70mph, 6.5-7 seconds maybe. How quickly did they pull on you, was it from the line then you held it even pace from then on upto 70, or was it gradual all the way upto 70. Or was it dead even until the other side of 60mph when they suddenly pulled hard on you.

This all will have a bearing on how easy it will be to stick with them in the future.

crazykid2056 said:
I was behind a car length till about 70mph. T

Then his LS1 pulled hard (I fell behind about three car lenghts between 70mph and 100mph) and I gave up.
in that case as they were not pulling ALL of time uptp 70mph then it should be easier to match them. As they must have got a jump on you somewhere along the line, probably from the launch which could be driver as much as it is car related.

A new exhaust is unlikely to make any real difference but if you can perhaphs get them a bit better of the line you may be able to stock with them to about 80mph, which is where you want to call it quits. Well atleast until you get more mods.

Good luck.

The exhaust will give you a few ponies but I say that a CAI and a good tune is what you will need to hang. If you want to put some distance on him then LTs, X/H pipe, gears and you should be good. That's of course he doesn't do any more mods himself!

After 70mph, he really took off. I think it might take all of those mod's to hang with the LS1 at those higher speeds.

I didn't realize how much faster the Trans Am's were compared to us in third gear.

300bhp/ton said:
WS6 or Ram Air will have no real bearing on its potentail as the engines produce the same BHP, as long as you don't beleive the GM quoted figures.

In theory, but in reality a SS Camaro will beat a WS-6 firebird every time and they have identical engines.

Wsmatau said:
In theory, but in reality a SS Camaro will beat a WS-6 firebird every time and they have identical engines.
well I own neither, but I am a member of a few fbody boards.

Post that there and it'd probably crash the server. The only real difference between the Z and the TA is the aero package, but it is unlikely to have any real affect the low side 120mph, and from what I've read not a great deal at higher speeds either.

RAM air is a pretty pointless mod and always has been (although still rather cool, but that won't alter the physics behind it).

ram air aka another form of "CAI" which we all know how that is. the 2 cars are identical in every single way that i can remember, except looks, rated hp, and $$$ with the ss and ram air having a "performance (cai) & handeling package". All Similar times between the ss, ws6, t/a and z28! it is def a drivers race to see who will win!

Ram Air is only a concept to most of us. Dont believe it will ever show any performance gains with any of your cars in your life unless you plan to reach "felony related speeds" or want to be like "Johny".

-Dan

Wsmatau said:

Although they are the same identical engine if anything I believe that in my experience the WS6 were always just a bit faster than the SS's. Even in the C&D and R&T magazines from the 99-00 model years the mustang cobra vs. ss vs. ws6 tests the trans ams were always a little bit faster 0-60 and 1/4 mile than the SS. (i'm sure i still have the magazines in my basement if anyone wants me to check the numbers)

Also the 00 SS that I owned I raced a 99 WS6 that only had a Magnaflow cat-back system (so he claimed at least). It took all my upgrades to edge him out by about a yard when we hit 120mph. His nose was around my front tire.....I was quite disapointed. Hopefully he was just lying about his mods.