3.27 to 4.10 on an automatic

MorbidGTVert

Feb 26, 2004
Melbourne, Fl.
like the title says i'm getting 4.10's and i already have 3.27's (under AX it has E = 3.27's ) will this wake my car up i mean i can already break tires loose for about a second when i punch the gas. when i change them out can i really take my car sideways and smoke'em or will there not really be much difference. thanks :D

• Sponsors (?)

YES, the 4.10's will wake up your car.

I have a 1993 LX Notch with a 5 speed, and I just recently added the following items:

4.10 gears
Sub frame connectors
Electric Fan
UD pulleys

The car already had the following:

Hotchkiss control arms
Subframes
Caster camber plates
Tokico struts and shocks
Catted Xpipe

The first time I drove the car after getting the new mods, I felt like I picked up 50 horsepower. The car came out of the hole very strong, pulled to 6000, and then just stayed in the meat of the powerband on the shifts.

As for the 4.10's...I am running 16" Pony's, and at 2500 rpms, I seem to be keeping up with traffic on the interstate (I haven't fixed the speedo yet).

I am hoping to add a 65mm Throttle Body, new maf meter, long tubes, and an OR H pipe in the next few months or so.

Get the 4.10's, you won't regret it a bit.

Hax

You DEFINITELY want the 4.10's. It was one of the first mods made to my car, then they became obsolete because the car was modded beyond the point where 4.10s made sense. 4.10s are a great consideration for a primarily stock car, but if you've got a whole crapload of engine mods, don't shoot so high... because then 1st gear becomes pointless.

MorbidGTVert said:
like the title says i'm getting 4.10's and i already have 3.27's (under AX it has E = 3.27's ) will this wake my car up i mean i can already break tires loose for about a second when i punch the gas. when i change them out can i really take my car sideways and smoke'em or will there not really be much difference. thanks :D

It depends on your setup.. If you're only gonna run radials on the street, and you've got a stock AOD and converter, then 4.10's will seem awesome..

But I have street tires, a fully built auto with 10-inch non-lockup converter, and 4.10's and it's too much for the street. I sometimes wish I would have gotten 3.73's instead. However, 120 foot long burnouts in 2nd gear are pretty cool though.

Dave

MorbidGTVert said:
i mean i can already break tires loose for about a second when i punch the gas. when i change them out can i really take my car sideways and smoke'em or will there not really be much difference. thanks :D

Depends really. Tires play an important role.

I mean, with my car it's hard to spin tires because my tires grab and also the AOD tends to launch a little softer.

I can barely spin tires on a good clean dry road but i'm also running 14.0's @ 100MPH (i spin at the track like crazy for some reason) so the power is there. Of course, i like the fact that i can nail it and just go and not worry about feathering the gas