3.55, 3.73, and drive gears... I know, beat it to death.

Henceforward

The Avatar Master
Founding Member
Jul 17, 2001
I have 1992 GT with a T-5, and stock tires and wheels.

I read all I could on the subject, and everyone says that there is no accurate drive gear for the 3.73.

This alone is steering me towards 3.55s

I do not want extra false milage on my car, and dropping the tranny is not an option.

I keep reading also that the White Jeep 23 tooth gear will work with 3.55 gears. Jeep Part #j3167393

http://www.geocities.com/mgnedell/notchback/tech/speedo.html

Is this part durable, because everything Dodge in my book sucks.

• Sponsors (?)

It's true that the 3.73's will read a little higher than the 3.55's, but not much. Especially since it's mostly top end that you'll notice it anyway...unless you plan on running 120mph all the time? :scratch:

I've got 3.55's in my full weight 5-speed LX and if I could do it all over again, I'd have gone with the 3.73's. Don't sell yourself short, go for the higher ratio!

I had a gear reducer box installed which can correct for any gear ratio. You should be able to get one at any speedo shop and it cost me $150 or so to have it put on and the car's speedo dyno calibrated. It splices onto the end of the speedo cable. Then you can get nigh perfect calibration. My speedo in my 93 GT was reading only 2mph low at 70mph with 3.73's when I had my T5 and the gear reducer box, just about perfect.

To make it easier to understand, all I am interested in is a reliable (made of very hard plastic) and accurate calibration gear that will make 3.73 gears worth it.

I guess I need to slow it down a bit.

I read that the speedometer adjustment gear, the one that corrects the readout displayed on your dashboard does not work too well with 3.73:1 gears. Because it is 5-9 MPH off. This in turn would equal to high stated mileage, when you actually haven't driven as far as the odometer displays.

I have also read that 3.55:1 ring and pinion gears with the appropriate calibration gears have a more accurate readout.

I am not talking about the ring and pinion gear, but rather the calibration gear.

Which one do I need that is accurate?

Thanks

I stay with 3.55 because it is dead on the speedo and mileage (didnt wanna be racking up more miles on the odo than is actual). The main point of regearing is to get the 60 foot down. Its all about the driver, Ive killed 3.73 guys outta the hole..fwiw