3.73 Gears

egan_gt

Apr 14, 2005
hibbing MN
I just got a set of FRPP 3.73 gears put in my 86 mustang this last weekend. i got it back and drove it. i now have a loud whining noise when im on the gas a little but mostly when im off the gas. the guy who did them just put a set of 4.10 richmond gears in my buddies 01 mustabg gt the night before and he also put a set of 3.55 FRPP gears in by buddies 88 gt a few nights earlier and theirs came out fine.. i dont know what to do. he said he tried everything. anyone with any ideas would help. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

He Told Me He Took Like A .023 Shim Out From Stock... So Then He Went By That When Putting The New Gears In. He Said He Kept Going Down In The Shim And Ended Up With Nothing, Then He Said The Back Lash Was Like .010 And He Cant Go More Than That... So I Dont Know What Do Do

i have 3.73s in mine.. i dont know what mines shimmed at but.. the guys got a BIG gap so the pinion will move in and out on you.. happened to our z28 and almosted ruined the 3.73s in it.. you should get some one else to look at it

egan_gt said:
He Told Me He Took Like A .023 Shim Out From Stock... So Then He Went By That When Putting The New Gears In. He Said He Kept Going Down In The Shim And Ended Up With Nothing, Then He Said The Back Lash Was Like .010 And He Cant Go More Than That... So I Dont Know What Do Do

.010 backlash is within specs (.008-.014)

egan_gt said:

Can you be a little more specific? The 0.023 shim - was that the pinion shim you are referring to? And what do you mean,that he kept going down in the shim and ended up with nothing - does that mean there is no pinion shim at all, and why did he keep going down in the shim. The only way to do that was if he had a pinion depth checker, or he set the whole thing up, and used gear marking compound to check his wear pattern and adjust the pinion depth accordingly. Or are you referring to the carrier shims to set backlash. If your backlash is at 0.010 that seems pretty good - did he use any marking compound to check gear wear? Also what was the run out of the ring gear - should be no more than 0.004.