3.73 rear end

302fordracer

Mar 27, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Yeah, so everywhere I go that does work like this I ask how much it will cost to do a ring and pinion swap of my stock 3.08 rear to 3.73 and they all give me outrageous quotes...things like $1100-$1500....I mean come on there must be a place that will do it cheaper.....can anyone help me out here?

• Sponsors (?)

i paid $800 flat, that included, gears,install kit, posi rebuild, fluids, and new ABS sensors and of course labor and also a lifetime warranty, so if anything ever gets messed up it gets fixed for free.

I did mine at home. Went from 2.73 t0 3.73. I bought the gears, 23tooth speedo gear, pinion bearing, Red Line gear oil, and Ford traction modifier on ebay from a guy who sold his stang before he had a chance to install them. I read a procedure on SuperStallions of the Net tech page. I ended up with too many shims on the pinion gear. I then talked to a local Mustang guru. He told me to use the stock shims. Be sure to put the carrier shims back on the same sides they came off. Also, I could not crush the new crush collar from under the car. Again I looked to the Mustang guru and he told me that I could use the same crush collar if the original was not fully collapsed. Just make sure the drag on the new pinion gear is the same as the original. You can measure this with a inch/lb torque wrench. I did it by feel. A new crush collar takes over 250lb/ft of torque to start it crushing and then is very easy to over crush once it starts.

It really wasn't that bad to do it myself. Although, I do consider myself mechanically able. I would do it again the same way. I drive my car daily to work and have been to the track once in the last 2.5 months and have no noise or any other types of problems that I have read that can happen with a bad install. Maybe I am just lucky.

If you are not comfortable with doing it yourself then don't pay more than $200.00 for labor.