300+ RWHP JUNKYARD SETUP

oxemoron

Jul 12, 2003
Hey had a question for you guys about what might be the best junkyard solution to achieve 300+RWHP. I recently finished designing a website for a friend's junkyard and as part of paying me he offered me pretty much anything out of the junkyard. This could be 2-3 engines or whatever parts I might find. Originally I was considering getting an LS2 and dropping that in my car since from the factory it already has 400HP. Then I realized how much fabrication would be involved and that it would probably end up costing me a good $3k to do the swap even with the engine being free. Then I was considering a 5.4 DOHC Navigator engine swap and once again realized the swap would be a huge project and alot of money even with a free engine. Because of the fact that he is a friend of mine whatever I choose I must use and I can't just go selling it on him to make profit. So then I began considering a 96-01 Explorer/Mountaineer 5.0 Engine. I figured I could machine the heads and intake at my dad's machine shop and then possibly swap the cam. Then I would have an extra block that I could stroke once I had the extra money. So what do you guys think would be the simplest project that would help me achieve 300+ RWHP with no major costs involved. Anything else I should be keeping a look out for at the junkyard? If only the GT40 351W were more calmin I would pick up one of those.

• Sponsors (?)

Man, that might be a little tought to get to.

I'd look for a 351W (pickups, Broncos, Crown Vics...) and maybe the GT40P top end like you mentioned. I just don't see you getting to 300rwhp on j/y parts without more displacement.

One of the guys that works with my dad used to professionally build race engines and he did all the porting. He offered to basiclly do it for me in order to teach me how its done. He definately knows his stuff, and if needed I will pay someone to do them but I think he will have no problem. What kind of times do you think I could run with the ported GT40P Heads, Intake, and an aftermarket cam? Also what do you think about the idea of putting the ported GT40P parts on a low mileage 351W that way I don't have to spend any money building an engine. I'm just trying to keep things simple because I'm going away to school in 5 months and don't want to take on any projects that can't be finished in time. Also I have to save money for school so thats why I really can't afford to go spending alot of money on my car, although I do know I need atleast GT40P swap headers and I want 3.73s. By the way its a 94 so if you can estimate what kind of times I would run base it off that. Thanks for any help

oxemoron said:
Also what do you think about the idea of putting the ported GT40P parts on a low mileage 351W that way I don't have to spend any money building an engine. I'm just trying to keep things simple because I'm going away to school in 5 months and don't want to take on any projects that can't be finished in time. Also I have to save money for school so thats why I really can't afford to go spending alot of money on my car, although I do know I need atleast GT40P swap headers and I want 3.73s. By the way its a 94 so if you can estimate what kind of times I would run base it off that. Thanks for any help
The GT40(P) heads will require you to machine the bolt holes for the larger 1/2" bolts the 351W block uses. Also, the 351 would require a dictated intake sence the block has a tall deck height. Sounds like a good budget build though.:nice:

I got the answer...

You ready for this.. pick up a 3-4 engines have ur dads friend teach u how to port.. port all the heads and intakes.. and bore the block to 306.. sell the completed engine after cleaned up and painted.. (spray paint 6 bucks at autozone) then sell the engines for somewhere around 700 ive seen stock setups go for 600.. also stock up on thunderbird turbos, mark vii fans, and w.e. u can get that will fit on the stangs.. sell it all on here then get a 460 and with the money u got from selling everything buy a decent set of hci.. lol.. and u will get more than 300rwhp.. or u can do the same thing with a 351 but i like the 460 idea.. by the way.. find me a 460 and i will pay u lol..:SNSign:

I too will recommend the 351w swap.
But I am obviously biased :D

There is a link in the tech index on Junk Yard parts to watch for. Go through it and make a list.
Turbo Tbird rear would be a sweet find.

Since it sounds like you will be using the 351w block "as is", you may want to focus on finding a roller block.

The swap is fairly easy, and can be done fairly cheap with yard parts.
I have a writeup on my website.

jason

your best bet on getting 300rwhp would be the more cubes the better. I'm a big fan of 351 swap, but would love to see a 460 done. :hail2: and if its free...thats a big money saver.