302 engine swapped into a 67 coupe sixer?

I looked around Nashville for about 6 months for a good 67 or 68 body. I want a 351w, c4 and 8.8 drivetrain. All 6 of the cars I looked at in the 3000 to 4000 dollar range were rusted out totally unrestored pos's. I bought an I6 car solid body, only needing a rust patch on the doors for less than any V8 car I looked at. ANY car I bought was going to get COMPLETE drivetrain replacement. A buddy put Wilwoods on his car and gave me a Granada disk set up. 37 year old springs need replaced. Wheels that I want are not that common (16x8 tt d's). Stock radiator would not do for my engine combo. The way I see it, I was replacing everything but the motor mounts on a V8 car, so what did it matter?

• Sponsors (?)

Boostedpimp said:
well I was only was concidering the 67 I6 swap to v8 because I came across a rust free cheap 67 coupe.. and have a 302 sitting around taking up space. don't take me the wrong way if the car was possibly mint I wouldn't hack it up but the interior is beat and the engine has major rod knocks.. it's got to have major cylindar wall damage so that engine will be taken out if i purchase the car.
Oh, ok. I understand you better now. Yea, if the engine is already shot, might as well go for it. When I bought mine, I had a 390 I wanted to drop in. I decided against it because the car is in pretty good shape. Sorry if I came off kinda harsh earlier.

The word "CHEAP" doesn't belong in the old car hobby. See "Timeless Wisdom #4" (below).

Remember this guy states that he has no previous swap experience. It is also my impression that he lacks the $$$$ and probably the tools and possibly the space to pull off a successful swap with a QUALITY result. As a first project, this requires a MASSIVE amount of work beyond "dropping in" :lol: :lol: :lol: a V-8. A "cheap" car is likely to have other problems which need to be addressed also.

Sure, it can be done, but, if you are young, inexperienced underfunded, etc., the TASK would be monumental and possibly consume resources better spent getting and education and job skills. There a three V-8 Mustangs available in the morning paper. They are priced in the $3-4 range. Seems like a "no brainer" to me.

Now I'll be quiet! :D BTW, what's so great about a 302 anyway?

SuperDave said:
The word "CHEAP" doesn't belong in the old car hobby. See "Timeless Wisdom #4" (below).

Remember this guy states that he has no previous swap experience. It is also my impression that he lacks the $$$$ and probably the tools and possibly the space to pull off a successful swap with a QUALITY result. As a first project, this requires a MASSIVE amount of work beyond "dropping in" :lol: :lol: :lol: a V-8. A "cheap" car is likely to have other problems which need to be addressed also.

Sure, it can be done, but, if you are young, inexperienced underfunded, etc., the TASK would be monumental and possibly consume resources better spent getting and education and job skills. There a three V-8 Mustangs available in the morning paper. They are priced in the $3-4 range. Seems like a "no brainer" to me.

Now I'll be quiet! :D BTW, what's so great about a 302 anyway?

Okey so it's my first swap big deal.. you should be helping me not trying to bascially say that you think im a no skill having, no brains 16 year old without a job talking out his ass about a dream he will never have.. stop beating around the bush if you have an issue with me then say it!! :mad: I did not post here to start ***** but wtf is your problem see this rule and see that rule.. well im sick of reading your rules.. although they make much sense you can take your rules and shove em.. everybody knows you never got out of a car what you put into it.. so stop the pissing and moaning about me not starting with a v8 cause the bottom line is IM NOT... and about the 302 im only using that because I have a one and it's decent. For your info im a 24yr old software engineer so I have enough funds to pull this swap out over time not all at once right now have it done in four days kinda funds but I can hold my own.. besides I have hookups that own shopes and my father knows alot but mainly about chevelles and corvettes but he know his shat so I have the help, tools and funds to do a I6 swap to 302 so stop the "start with v8" crap.. all i was looking for was helpful info about a engine swap not check this rule etc.. get my point of this long ass post.

Thanks

Hey BoostedPimp...relax dude... These guys aren't flaming you, just trying to give some perspectives from their vast collective experience.

Having done a 100%, every nut & bolt replacement, type of resto on my '66, I can see your point. More than likely, you plan on changing out everything anyway, so your costs won't be much greater than had you started with a V8 car...maybe even less if your body is good.

Just know that by the time you complete the work on the engine, get the new mounts & brackets, suspension & steering components, tranny conversion parts, rearend work done, etc, etc, you'll be into the car from anywhere $5-$10k, or more... depending on your actual engine costs, and how much of the work you're doing yourself. So long as you go into your project with open eyes, a reasonable expectation of time & money, good plan, and a real desire to do the job well, you'll have a successful project.

I wish you luck, as I'm sure everyone here does.

I went into my 67 resto with minimal tools and space, and it came out pretty good. I bought some tools and borrowed some. Some I borrowed from autozone for a deposit(refundable on return). I had never pulled an engine, rebuilt one, or done bodywork. Now, I have more experience at it, more money, a little more space and I am upgrading alot more stuff. I still say go for it, if you have some mechanical ability you can do it. Get a Ford manual for that year and maybe pickup a resto manual from a vendor. But chill out a little. If you don't like what the guy has to say, just ignore it. :nice:

It kills me when ppl ask for advice, and get mad when everyone doesnt immediately endorse the decision they have already made :)

No need to act so, Mr. Pimp. You have been given a good link on how to do early in this thread. Good luck on your swap, let us know how it goes, if you care to do so.

Don't take it personal, SuperDave has rubbed a few people the wrong way. Some people think there is one answer to every situation, maybe it is age, I don't know. Some people give you info to make a choice, and others want to act like your dad and tell you what to do or make you feel like an idiot. They don't know everything. Most of these people have never done a swap. It seems most people on the board have modified or replaced or want to modify the suspension, brakes, rearend, motor, exhaust, wheels, radiator... hey that looks like the list to convert a six cylinder car.

LMan said:
It kills me when ppl ask for advice, and get mad when everyone doesnt immediately endorse the decision they have already made :)

No need to act so, Mr. Pimp. You have been given a good link on how to do early in this thread. Good luck on your swap, let us know how it goes, if you care to do so.

I noticed that link posted and what did I do I?? said my thanks it was a big help so if your not gonna contribute to this thread in a productive way then why bother posting in it?? i'll will be glad to show the helpful peeps here the finished product or even some shots during the swap process but not you.

BoostedPimp

from what I remember:

-front suspension needs to be upgraded to V8 specs
-I think radiator will need to be V8 radiator also, I6 is different
-the I6 rear came with 7.25", pretty weak so you'll need to swap in an 8" at the minimum
-you'll need a C4 with a V8 style bellhousing(assuming you go with a c4).

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, I'll post back if I remember.

DBz

SuperDave said:
BTW, what's so great about a 302 anyway?
I don't know myself, but a lot of people here seem to think its the end all of Ford engines or something. Wow, this thing took a bad turn while I was gone. Anyway, since you're determined to do it, why not go with a 351W or something bigger then? You seem to have the money.

GaPonyFarm, it is a rare option, not many at all with it.
Just to be picky, its a 7.5 rear in an I6.

TheWolf said:
I don't know myself, but a lot of people here seem to think its the end all of Ford engines or something.

Well my 302 will be stroked to a 342 with fully forged bottom end and full roller up top producing 500hp at crank naturally aspirated and prepped for a 175 shot of nos with 675hp at the touch of the button all on pump gas and be very streetable at 10.7 to 1 compression. When you show me that the I6 can do that without costing three times as much to build, then you got me.

And the bench seat being rare does not make it valuable. It is rare because nobody wanted it back then. Most don't want it now. If its just a plain mustang with a bench seat(like an I6 coupe) then its not worth anything extra. If its a big block car, or special edition mustang with the bench, that makes it more rare cause most people would not option a bench seat with that combo. Makes it worth a little more cause of the oddity.

LMan said:

Seems to me he did not ask for advice on whether to do the swap or not, but what parts were needed. I advised him to chill a little too, but rereading some of the posts(especially from Dave) they were totally insulting and condascending to this guy. Dave talking about his impression was this kid had no money, skills, or tools, or space to pull this off. WTF would he or anybody else on here know about this kids finances and so forth after reading a few posts from him? The trouble with alot of folks on this board sometimes is they don't want anybody to stray from the norm. Don't dare do anything to a mustang that will require some work and effort to make it different from the way the factory built it. If this guy wants to spend 50k on this coupe and make it a corvette slayer, then I say more power to him. Its his car, money, and time. And by the way boostedpimp, you sure type lousy for a software engineer. :rlaugh: Just messing with you.

And by the way Dave, he is following one of your rules. Something about having enough money makes anything possible. If you don't agree with that then take it out of your rules. :shrug:

TheWolf said:

The fact that nobody wants or wanted it, doesn't make it rare, just very unpopular...

I thought he referred to having a 8.8" rearend from a V8 '66 ... and I said 8". I must have misunderstood something... thanks for the correction.

brianj5600 said:
DBz, is there a difference besides springs on front suspension? I'm about to start tearing into mine.

You'll want the spindles off a V8 car as well as the outer tie rods. Tip, go find a V8 Granada at the junkyard, strip off the front suspension, disc brakes and tie rods, all those parts should be an easy bolt on.

laters