mustangGT85

Founding Member
Aug 16, 2002
Orange CA
sorry guys, i did a search and couldnt find what i was looking for.

this may be a dumb question, but how should i go about making a 306. i know i need to bore it out around .030 right? but the question is, do i need to buy new pistons to match the bigger bore. can some one make a small check list to going 306. i would like to have somewhat(but not crazy) upgraded pistons, for forced induction at a later time. and how much power, from a stock 87 block can i expect to make by going up to the 306? 300hp? thanks guys

~Steve

• Sponsors (?)

going 302 to 306 in going to net you somewhere in the 1-2hp range..it's not for performance purposes. The overbore is done to clean up warn cylinder walls...result is VERY very little power gain.

To answer your question you will need pistons that are .030 over stock which would be 4.030 inches. other than that you could bolt on every stock part (except pistons) back onto the block after its machined.

4 extra cubes will not net you any siginficant gain..and certanly nothing you're going to notice. Rebuilding a 302 block will quite often require the cylinder walls to be cleaned up by an overbore. If you see 5hp gain then your lucky at best...to make power you need some significant gain in cubes (331 347 etc) or the addiction of quality h/c/i, nitrous or blower. Don't look for a .030 overbore to make the power...it's about the parts you put on it.