30k maint.

ChrisYellowV6

Dec 25, 2003
Pensacola, FL
I'm just hitting 30k on my car's odo...I just changed the oil (was using mobil 1, now royal purple, and honestly even though the name says royal purple, i was somewhat suprised to find out the oil itself is actually purple, lol.) and the coolant. i'm going to take it down and get a new fuel filter, is it time to get the power steering/brake fluid/atf changed as well? how hard are these to do? is it worth it to take it to a shop somewhere?

• Sponsors (?)

wow i want purple oil!! where did you get that? ive never seen it before around here

if you can change your oil and your coolant, then you can do your fuel filter and tranny fluid/filter too... i would leave the ps/brake fluid alone, just make sure they are topped off.. they should be okay till at least 100k ...there shouldnt really be much that needs to be done at 30k, just give everything a good checking out... most major maintence should be done around 60k so you're good for a little while

coolant system flush, tranny fluid change (even if manual only makes it so much easier) filter also if auto with fluid change, oil and filter, check hoses and all fluids, maybe even rear gear oil, also change plugs they are cheap and the stockers probably need it, plug wires will be fien till around 50k+

purple oil...lol. that stuff seriously kicks ass. i was talking to this guy at autozone last night he said yeah definately he swears by it in his truck and camaro, lol. pep boys carries it, go to www.royalpurple.com and find a dealer in your area. it's kinda expensive, $5-$6/qt, but thats just a top end synthetic in all reality. he told me first full tank he calculated after he changed to royal purple, he increased 2.5 mpg. it explains how it helps on the website, but yeah my car seems to crank a lot quicker and easier now.

SpectorV said:
coolant system flush, tranny fluid change (even if manual only makes it so much easier) filter also if auto with fluid change, oil and filter, check hoses and all fluids, maybe even rear gear oil, also change plugs they are cheap and the stockers probably need it, plug wires will be fien till around 50k+

Is there a way to flush the coolant without running a water hose through the system? I have done it on cars in te past and I would usually cut a hole in a heater hose and use a plastic piece to hook a garden hose to it to flush the system. Now I liv at an apartment and I dont have access to a hose. Are there any drain plugs on the block or anything like that on the 3.8?

Car Wash dude, or a friends house. :D

I just hit 31K and I did my plugs and wires, change oil every 3K miles with Mobil1, changed gear old at 10K miles and don’t plan to change it again till like 60ish. Changed the tyranny fluid at 25K miles and got synthetic put in. I guess just change your coolant and you should be good