331/347 or 351

stykthyn

I want to measure mine. It doesn't look that tall.
15 Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
gainesville
what would be a more dependable street friendly motor? I am in the process of rebuilding a gt40 motor and want to stroke it. are their any advantages of the 331 over the 347? I also have the opportunity to grab a 351 for $150. would the 351 be a better engine for a daily that will most likely never see the drag strip? I am just looking for something that is a little different and can have fun with on the weekends.

• Sponsors (?)

First choice would be a 351 but you could probably end up doing a 302 stroker a bit cheaper and easier. And you know it will bolt right in without the hassle of finding parts to make the 351 fit.
Todays 302 stroker kits are very reliable and easier than ever to build. Nice thing about the 347 you have plenty of torque down low and it doesn't need to be revved.

Neither of the 3 are more reliable than the other. Relibility is in the hands of your builder and as long as thats done right, its in the hands of you in how you treat it.

I keep reading that the 331 is a better street motor than the 347 that is the only thing that has me confused. the only tempting part of the 351 is that I get a beefier block that I can later throw more power at if I wanted to. If I do a 302 stroker and wanted forced induction later on I would be close to the stock blocks limits.

As long as the wrist pin does not intersect the oil ringland, they are all EXTREMELY close in reliability. If the wrist pin does intersect, it makes the gap a little bit larger. An incompetent builder makes that gap even larger.

There simply is not enough 'great' builders to say that all are equal.

Click on the link in my signature for the differences and pros and cons of one over the other, mainly the 302 stroker combinations.

351w FTW! easy and straightforward swap, parts hunting is the fun part! i did mine for well under 1,000.00 and it moves purdy good..i just couldent see dropping 800.00+ for a kit that is missing lots of things..then i still have stock headers, etc.. it all depends on what you're looking for, dont forget a 351w can be stroked to a 408, 427(i think), etc..