331 or a 347 for daily driving?

tx2000gt

May 27, 2005
My buddies stock 5.0 is getting close to hitting the 250k mark, and he wants to swap it out and build up a short block. I told him a 331 would suit him better for daily driving, but he still wants a 347. I told him that the 347 consumes oil faster than normal and the engine in whole wears out quicker. Any other thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

tx2000gt said:
My buddies stock 5.0 is getting close to hitting the 250k mark, and he wants to swap it out and build up a short block. I told him a 331 would suit him better for daily driving, but he still wants a 347. I told him that the 347 consumes oil faster than normal and the engine in whole wears out quicker. Any other thoughts?

What is the rest of his combination of parts: heads, cam, intake, etc

I prefer a 331 myself, but the 347 from certain companies are good.
If I was going to build a 347 for daily use, this is what I would buy:

- A DSS level 20 5.0 bare block (with chamfered bores on the deck to unshroud larger valves) and their aluminum girdle.
- A CHP 347 stroker kit with flat tops and the 5.315" rods.
- AFR185's 58cc heads with the spring upgrade
- Edelbrock RPMII or Holley intake
- A custom grind dual pattern cam matched for the combo
- 1-5/8" headers to 2-1/2" exhaust
- Definitely lower gears (3.55's or 3.73's)
etc

CoupedUp said:
What is the rest of his combination of parts: heads, cam, intake, etc

I prefer a 331 myself, but the 347 from certain companies are good.
If I was going to build a 347 for daily use, this is what I would buy:

- A DSS level 20 5.0 bare block (with chamfered bores on the deck to unshroud larger valves) and their aluminum girdle.
- A CHP 347 stroker kit with flat tops and the 5.315" rods.
- AFR185's 58cc heads with the spring upgrade
- Edelbrock RPMII or Holley intake
- A custom grind dual pattern cam matched for the combo
- 1-5/8" headers to 2-1/2" exhaust
- Definitely lower gears (3.55's or 3.73's)
etc
a comp cams XE274HR would be a good aplication for that engine

You can't go against physics. The oil problems have progressed greatly but the 347 does wear out quicker. They both can last a very long time if maintained properly. The 331 is less resistent to the rings and sidewall of the block.

I know that CHP does something with the wrist pins that makes them stronger. But, what do you think I should tell him? He wants to make good power, take it to the track a few times a year, and have it as a daily driver. But judging from what yall've said, it seems most of the problems that plagued the 347 before, have since been corrected. Either way, he said he's buying from CHP since they're the cheapest and, from what I've read, the best for the money.

tx2000 - built with quality components, machined by a competent shop and assembled with care -- either a 331 or a 347 will hold up just fine for daily driving for his next 200k miles -- assuming he's not terribly abusive. Tell your buddy to toss a coin and take his pick.

True there is added stress on a 347 but, the longevity difference between the 2 is minumum. Just like Yount said, with quality parts and a competent machine shop and bulider...flip a coin. I have a pal thats got over 70,000 on his dd 347. I have a 347 dd and I have no problems at all. I am not promoting a 347 over the 331, I just don't personally know anyone with that engine. You will be happy with either one...guaranteed:)

Use the FMS hypertectic 347, costs about $2200 and is built with the sportsman block.

Has the hyper pistons which don't expand and contract so they don't destroy the cylinder walls as fast as a forged piston.

And someone will post here and say they are not that strong. But realistically if you boost any 347 that isn't made from an A4, r302, or dart, you are going to far exceed the blocks strenght anyway. So likely you'll break the block before the rotating assembly anyhow.

I happen to have the forged version of the Sportsman block 347 ready to go. But the reason i'm using the forged version is that if i decide i want one of the above mentioned blocks, i can re-use the rotating assembly. Which BTW is $2000 alone.

Oh, and no waiting, you can pick these up at motorsport dealers with a warranty.

The Chp shortblocks are also very repudable.
But i'm also pretty sure that CHP (which is also Probe) builds the 331, 342, 347's for ford, just with different tolerances and some different parts.