331 Stroker Build

John Grunwald

Jan 19, 2012
I was wondering what my power would be around...
331 stroker with all forged internals
ported weiland intake with 600 holley
ported and polished 190cc procomp heads
eldelbrock rollin thunder cam .576 int and .583 exh
a set of headers
msd ignition
compression is about 10.5:1
any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Hi,
I"m running a 289/334 (.040 over), TW 170 heads, 10.6 CR, 680 custom designed Holly, Performer RPM, full roller conversion, custom designed cam (.570/.562), TRI-Ys, 2.5" exhaust system, and a Jacob's ign. system. My junk dynoed at 392 RWHP at 6100 w/402 RWTQ @ 4200. My rotating system is not forged, but, is a high quality cast system with all of the assembly blue printed. I do no drag-strip, mainly cruise and shows. To-date, I am running a dual DCOE Weber setup and the car "does go".

Attachments

• Dressed in black.JPG
    Dressed in black.JPG
    216.6 KB · Views: 105
Just The numbers I was looking for! WHat so you think the best sized carb would be?

Hi,
My best advice..no one can answer that question, even with what might be considered a similar builds. This being stated, I suggest you access ProSystem's site and complete their engine profile spec sheet and submit. It will not be a cheap purchase, but, it will be a custom built carb for your engine that will work OTB (out of the box). This is why mine is "680", not 650 or 750. It's specific to my engines breathing capabilities.
Also know, unless they have relented in the past couple of years, you will not get a carb with a choke. But then again, their builds do not need one. Here is the one I ran.

Attachments

• ProSys Holly.JPG
    ProSys Holly.JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 115
poppys right. it is a question that is hard to answer because it depends on so many things, and the experience as well as the ideas of the one making the recommendations. for instance poppy suggests using a custom built carb for your engine, and that is certainly a good way to go if you have the money. some like myself recommend using a carb in the 750 cfm range. and we are also going to recommend using different carbs as well, for instance i am quite high on edelbrock carbs, because everyone i have ever used has been just about prefect out of the box. others recommend holley, or barry grant, etc.

i think for your motor, go with a 750 cfm edelbrock thunder series carb. i think you will like the end result.

Hi again,
What you might do, is one, add an O2 sensor bung in your header collector. Two, seek out a chassis Dyno shop and have at it. Insuring they connect their O2 sensor system. When they punch it at 2.5-3K Rs, and run' er up to 6-6.5kRs, you'll get a print out of the AFR. This will be a "telling" moment. Like "rbohm", I'm partial to Eddys and they are easy to tweak! Happy trails!