347 dyno numbers low?

prochargedfox

Nov 2, 2005
Des Moines
I got my car tuned and dynoed about 2 weeks ago. It put down 232hp and 287tq on a dyno jet. I had around 12.2 air/fuel ratio.
My car has a eagle stroker kit, 10.5:1 compression, aluminum heads- 190cc ports, 2.02 intake valves, 1.60 exh., comp cam 544 lift, a junk typhoon manifold, bbk long tube headers, x pipe, pullies and some other small stuff. I still have the stock ignition and cooling system.
We found out that I need a 28oz balancer and flywheel to balance the new crank. So the engine isnt balanced properly. So that is probably hurting it alot. Ive got the tranny out now and i am waiting for the parts.
I was wondering what my numbers should be at or around? Also what numbers did your stroker put down? Also anything you might think would help out.
Thanks.
-Aaron

• Sponsors (?)

yea thats not good at all.......i have 347 stroker 10.5 comp., afr 185 heads, mild cam street heat intake long tubes..etc, etc.....put down 337rwhp and 379 rwtrq.....+1 on no revving or driving around with the wrong flywheel

Thanks for the replys,
I thought those numbers were pretty low. Especially on a dyno jet. I have a tremec T-5 in the car. I should have got my new flywheel and balancer today. Im going to put that in next week and hopefully that will help it out alot. I have put around 1000 miles on the car so far. I had to drive to Minnesota from Iowa to get it tuned. The guy didnt want to rev. it high on the dyno because of the wrong flywheel, so I hope I didnt mess up the engine. He told me it should be ok for a while, but said that I need to get it fixed and that I shouldn't be beating on it.

-Aaron

Well sheet, if he didnt rev it high, it's a wasted run anyway and it shouldnt be running at all with the wrong balance setup. If he didnt rev it high so it might not have peaked. Some more info would be helpfull, what RPM did it peak at?

Ya it was a waste of my time and money. The people that put the stroker kit togethor for me didn't see that the crank needed a 28oz balancer. I didnt realize when it was shaking so bad that it wasn't balanced. If I noticed that before I wouldnt have drove the car 270 miles to get the thing tuned. :bang: He tuned it the best he could and messed with it for 2 hours. Only ended up paying 100 bux for like 5 runs and the tune. He only reved it to 5k, and it should be able to go to like 6k or even 6,500k. He said he didn't want to hurt it. It should be better after I put some miles on it too, and get it broken in. You can smell the oil burning after I drive it. I think it burned about a quart of oil so far. Do stroker motors burn oil? Even after its broken it?
Thanks
-Aaron

Ya, my dad got all of my parts wholesale. I told him to tell them to pay for my labor but no. I adjusted those damn rockers like 3 times, but they could still be too tight. Its not fun taking the upper manifold off everytime I have to take the rocker covers off. I had my dads friends put the bottom end togethor and do the machining and I did the rest. I think I only ended up paying around $3200 for the whole engine minus the exhaust and pulleys.

-Aaron

Was the rotating assy balanced? If it was balanced properly, the engine builder should have asked for the balancer and flywheel, which are required to balance the setup properly. If it has not been balanced, and just put together, even with the 28oz balancer, your engine will not last long, and will eventually shake itself to bits.
How was the cam setup - was it degreed properly, or just tossed in dot to dot.
From what you have posted, I would be real nervous on how that setup was put together. Hopefully I'm wrong, and the guys that put it together knew what they were doing, or the figures that you say may be real enough for that engine :(

FYI, my 331 just dyno'd at 340 rwhp, 350 rwtq.

cobradvm said:
FYI, my 331 just dyno'd at 340 rwhp, 350 rwtq.

Whats c/r are you running on your 331? I am trying to build a turbo engine with about 9.0:1 C/R and was curiuous what kind of numbers i would put out N/A until i got the turbo installed. (sorry this is off topic kinda, don't mean to hijack anyones thread)

The people who built my engine have built hundreds of engines. They do alot of stock cars, and love to work on fords. They never balanced the engine. They said that the parts should already be balanced. I dont know about the cam, but im pretty sure they put it in the right way. If the engine still shakes or doesnt run properly I will probably end up taking it out and having someone balance it. But I really dont wanna have to take it back out.

Aaron

prochargedfox said:
The people who built my engine have built hundreds of engines. They do alot of stock cars, and love to work on fords. They never balanced the engine. They said that the parts should already be balanced. I dont know about the cam, but im pretty sure they put it in the right way. If the engine still shakes or doesnt run properly I will probably end up taking it out and having someone balance it. But I really dont wanna have to take it back out.

Aaron

For a engine to run correctly it needs to be balanced, Not just internally, You have to put the balancer and fly wheel on. Once installed and running it shouldn't have any shake or vibration.

The shaking your describing is the internals being torn apart by vibration...really not a good thing. Now you mention buring a full quart in 200 miles??!!! no matter what engine combo your running using up that much oil IS NOT ACCEPTABLE...302/331/347 none of the above should be using oil when properly assembled. Rings seat 90% in the first few minutes of running..and your oil consumption should be about finished there as well.

prochargedfox said:
They never balanced the engine. They said that the parts should already be balanced.
Aaron

Take the parts to get balanced. You really should after dumping 3k+ into it. i think its needed to save that motor from destruction. Anyways, when you do get it balanced. make sure its a different shop. and make sure the shop documents everything. how far everything is off. etc. and go show it to the place the motor was built. and try and make them pay for it. Doubtful, but needs to be done regardless.

Derek