347 in and running

• Sponsors (?)

I found the vacuum leak today. Its at the lower intake. I'm gonna retorque it and see if that fixes it. If not, i'm thinking that its because of the ehads being milled and block being zero deck that the intake doesn't line up 100% and may need to be milled. The car is throwing lean codes and I have a check engine light at idle. The car idles high too about 1200rpm. Hopefully once I fix the vacuum leak, the idle will drop and the check engine light will go away. Then I can start tuning.

I changed the oil today and I took it for a drive. It will start up and idle fine with no surging or stalling.

I was giving it some 4-5k rpm pulls in 2nd and 3rd gear and letting it come down in gear.

Tomorrow i'm gonna retorque the lower intake and go over all the bolts on the engine and trans to check for tightness

Grn92LX said:
I found the vacuum leak today. Its at the lower intake. I'm gonna retorque it and see if that fixes it. If not, i'm thinking that its because of the ehads being milled and block being zero deck that the intake doesn't line up 100% and may need to be milled. The car is throwing lean codes and I have a check engine light at idle. The car idles high too about 1200rpm. Hopefully once I fix the vacuum leak, the idle will drop and the check engine light will go away. Then I can start tuning.

I changed the oil today and I took it for a drive. It will start up and idle fine with no surging or stalling.

I was giving it some 4-5k rpm pulls in 2nd and 3rd gear and letting it come down in gear.

Tomorrow i'm gonna retorque the lower intake and go over all the bolts on the engine and trans to check for tightness

:hail2: :worship:
RC

Alright, little update.

I retorqued the lower intake. While i had the upper off I realized I forgot to plug 1 vacuum port so that was another vacuum leak I had. I fixed that and I also deleted that 1 vacuum line on the upper that runs from one port on the upper to another port on the upper.

Driveability is improved from fixing the vacuum leaks.

I did a 2nd gear WOT pull to around 5000-5500 and looked @ my wideband. Its running too rich up top. The a/f goes from a mid 12 to into the 11's. I gotta tune that.

It runs a little hotter than my 302 did. I dunno if its due to the more power and compression or maybe my radiator got rotted out while it sat for months. It was hot and humid tonight though. It doesn't over heat or even come close to over heating. Runs around 190*. I could probably run extra water instead of antifreeze. I don't think it needs to be burped but i'll try.

Mike

Grn92LX said:
Alright, little update.

I retorqued the lower intake. While i had the upper off I realized I forgot to plug 1 vacuum port so that was another vacuum leak I had. I fixed that and I also deleted that 1 vacuum line on the upper that runs from one port on the upper to another port on the upper.

Driveability is improved from fixing the vacuum leaks.

I did a 2nd gear WOT pull to around 5000-5500 and looked @ my wideband. Its running too rich up top. The a/f goes from a mid 12 to into the 11's. I gotta tune that.

It runs a little hotter than my 302 did. I dunno if its due to the more power and compression or maybe my radiator got rotted out while it sat for months. It was hot and humid tonight though. It doesn't over heat or even come close to over heating. Runs around 190*. I could probably run extra water instead of antifreeze. I don't think it needs to be burped but i'll try.

Mike

Mike, I just got done with my H/C/I yesterday. I was told that more hp basically means more heat. That might be why you are running hotter. I was recommended to get a Fluidyne to make sure I don't overheat my aluminum heads. Does adding more water to the coolant mixture help keep temps down? Right now I'm running straight coolant (haven't even driven it but around the block, no power steering right now), but I'm gonna put some water in it tomorrow.

Good to hear you're tracking down the bugs, hope you get those vacuum leaks taken care of. Good luck! :nice:
-Chris

Water will cool better than antifreeze. If your running straight antifreeze i'd dump some out and put in water.

My cruise a/f is a bit lean so i'm thinking that might be why it runs a little hotter too. I'm gonna try adding fuel in the low load 2200rpm cell in the PMS. It doesn't over heat and doesn't even come close to over heating. It runs about 190*. I was hot as hell tonight and very humid.

I wanna finish tuning my idle and cruise, then work on leaning out WOT.

Another update:

The cars idling awesome! The idle a/f and cruise a/f are great too.

I did a nice 2nd gear to 4th gear pull on the street. I datalogged my pull and loaded it up to my computer. The a/f is a bit rich for sure. Its mostly in the low 12's across, but it dips into the 11.8:1 range in a few spots. I gotta lean it out best I can so its around 12.8-13.0.There should be a few hp to be gained there. I guess over all the a/f tune isn't too terrible unlike how my old 302 was. Once I dial in my a/f, i'll try a few more *'s of timing.

I've only taken it to like 5500-6000, I haven't pulled it to 6600 yet. Once I tune it and take it to a 6600 shift, it should feel nice

Mike, do you have any plan to throw it on the dyno to get some numbers since you are not near any drag strips? I'm VERY interested to see what you are getting out of that thing. I'm making plans for my next motor build...

Paul, dyno's around here are to expensive. If I can find a cheap place to make like two pulls I may do it, but not in the near future. With the PMS and wideband, i'm looking to just street tune it. My opinion is the street will put a real load on the car for a better tune rather than a weak 4th gear dyno pull. I'd like to see at least 375rwhp.

What kinda combo are you looking at? I really would have loved to get my heads ported, but it just adds up to too much money.

mike what combo are you using in the 347.....im very curious to know because my friend just bought a 90 lx hatch with a 347 in it....it has afr 185's, lunati cam (dont ahve teh specs off hand but its pretty tame, and a performer II intake, and its only making like 352rwhp on a larocca tune on 94 octane, and it STILL SLIGHTLY pings in hot weather........any advice?

stprorolla49 said:
mike what combo are you using in the 347.....im very curious to know because my friend just bought a 90 lx hatch with a 347 in it....it has afr 185's, lunati cam (dont ahve teh specs off hand but its pretty tame, and a performer II intake, and its only making like 352rwhp on a larocca tune on 94 octane, and it STILL SLIGHTLY pings in hot weather........any advice?

If he's pinging the only thing I can think of is a dirty maf, dirty injectors, running lean or too much timing. I remember you posting about his combo and it doesn't make near what it should due to the junk camshaft, stock afr springs and poor exhaust (1 5/8" shortys).

My combo is listed in my signature. Little "tricks" I have are 55.6cc heads, lightb weight rotating parts like rods, balancer, flywheel and even my clutch disk is lighter than a ford/valeo disk :D I do run a 2.5" mid pipe which I feel is holding me back a little. I told ed I was gonna be running a 3" mid pipe but due to money,I used my old 2.5" pipe. I Emailed Ed to see what he says.

I haven't heard any pinging and I run over priced 93 octane. I paid $2.73/gal last week and I noticed it went up since to $2.83 :rolleyes:

I still have to dial in my timing curve and lean out my WOT a/f.

Grn92LX said:
If he's pinging the only thing I can think of is a dirty maf, dirty injectors, running lean or too much timing. I remember you posting about his combo and it doesn't make near what it should due to the junk camshaft, stock afr springs and poor exhaust (1 5/8" shortys).

My combo is listed in my signature. Little "tricks" I have are 55.6cc heads, lightb weight rotating parts like rods, balancer, flywheel and even my clutch disk is lighter than a ford/valeo disk :D I do run a 2.5" mid pipe which I feel is holding me back a little. I told ed I was gonna be running a 3" mid pipe but due to money,I used my old 2.5" pipe. I Emailed Ed to see what he says.

I haven't heard any pinging and I run over priced 93 octane. I paid $2.73/gal last week and I noticed it went up since to $2.83 :rolleyes:

I still have to dial in my timing curve and lean out my WOT a/f.
what size injectors are you running?? he only has 24's which are going to be replaced within the next few days...

I run ford 30's with an 80mm shorty pro m meter. The PMS and LM 1 wideband kit I have work wonders! His 24's can work since he has a chip tune, but for sure the duty cycle is probably up there. Next time i punch it hard i'm gonna look on my PMS screen and see what my injector duty cycle is.