350 in 84 stang?

ritt

Apr 7, 2008
I want to do something that not alot of people have, if any people do. I want to put a 350 with a turbo 350 tranny in a 84 mustang. Idk how hard this wil be to do, if it is possible? If i can, what is the minimum amount of modificatons that i would have to do to the car? Any help would be nice

• Sponsors (?)

im new to the whole mustang scene myself, but why put a chevy drivetrain in one? im sure its been done before. is it that you have the 350 and the tranny already? cause you can get a 351 decently cheap or a 5.0 for 300 and up. im not trying to rain on your plans, like i said im new to mustangs and dont know to much about them, but why chevy when ford is just as easy and can be inexpensive?

the reason for this is because i have a tranny and a edelbrock intake and carb for a chevy 350.... and since im 17 and alil tight on money and just want a fast car im thinking this would work..... and for all the performance catalogs i have looked in its WAY cheaper to build a 350 than a 302 or 351...... but i just need to know how hard this switch would be.... i already got **** about it at o'rielly's today, but i want a unique car that will actually run lol, chevy will get that done!

It is possible, there is a guy at my local track that runs a SBC in a fox body. You will need a custom K-member, either fabricate one or purchase one from Jegs. They make one that will work with a SBC.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Anthony Jones/040/MU-3030/10002/-1

As for headers, most guys used the S10/SBC engine swap headers. You will need a custom driveshaft, transmission crossmember, and small stuff like radiator hoses that will fit the 350.

Not to mention, when you get everything installed and get it running, that 350 will probably destroy the 7.5" differential in your '84.

If you are adding these costs up, it is easy to see that it isn't "cheap" compared to Ford parts. For a street car, I don't think you could do it and break even with the additonal costs. If you were building a 10 second drag car, the cost savings of the chevy drivetrain would probably overshadow the swap costs.

well i could fab both of those cross members couldnt i? since my brother and my dad are metal workers....... and for that drive shaft isnt there anything that would work that i could just go out and buy? this car doesnt have to be perfect,

ps if anyone has any chrome wheels for this mustang or a 86 capri get back to me, we are looking for 2 sets, my brother wants 15 inch and 9 or 10 inch in back and 7 or 8's in front..... im lookin for some nice pony or cobra wheels 4 bolt of course. thanks

Yes, you can certainly fabricate the crossmember/k-member if you have the skills and tools available. A driveshaft shop would be able to make the driveshaft. The car I have seen was running a Monte Carlo driveshaft that had been shortened and had a Ford yolk welded on the end.

he has a point though....why go through that hassle??? Sell the mustang, or sell the sbc and th350 and use the money to replace the vehicle or engine, it'd be much more simple and less time consuming, hell, I'm sure you could find someone willing to trade a 302/c4 for the 350/350

I'm a chevy guy,scratch that, im a car guy, but i do own a 1984 sportcoupe camaro, and i would appreciate if you didn't bastardize a mustang in that manner. Check out your craigslist, my local craigslist(detroit) has got several 302s for cheap, and tranny's as well.

the reason for this is because i have a tranny and a edelbrock intake and carb for a chevy 350.... and since im 17 and alil tight on money and just want a fast car im thinking this would work..... and for all the performance catalogs i have looked in its WAY cheaper to build a 350 than a 302 or 351!

There are a LOT of people going fast for cheap with mostly stock Ford parts. You just need to be careful choosing them to get the combination just right. If you are going to have a full time race car with a built engine with every possible thing the most expensive part available inside it then Yes....the chebby drivetrain will be cheaper. When you're 17 and "alil tight on money" you have to go the cheapest route......in this case that is stock Ford parts.

Assuming you already have a 5.0, 1984 stang, a good start in the modification department would be:

8.8 w/ 3.73 or 4.10 gears
complete aftermarket exhaust system
GT40 or GT40P heads from and Explorer
spindles & front brakes from an '87-'93 v8 stang
good quality aftermarket lower control arms in the rear
rebuild / replace all suspension bushings, ball joints, tie rods, struts, shocks
complete tuneup & some careful tuning.

You will be surprised at how the simple, basic things can make your car feel so much better.

Remember that it is more important to have a reliable car than a fast car if it is to get you everywhere you need to go. An older car will cause you plenty of late night work on it because it's broke again sessions. An older car that is you daily with modifications will cause you to pull your hair out if you plan to do anything in your life besides working on it.

This is a very common setup in some bracket race circles, as I have seen several of them.

Never looked at the details, but I think a motor plate is the easiest way to mount stuff.

Having just rebuilt my first 350 Chevy, after 40 years of nothing but small block Fords, I don't think it is any cheaper than doing a 302 or 351w Ford. Certainly not any easier. Even finding decent 350 blocks to build is harder and more expensive than finding 302's from my recent experience. Parts interchange between the years is also not any better than Fords.
Oil pans and timing sets differ, oil pickup is a pita, fuel pump drive is odd, stock heads have press in studs, chamber sizes are not good for much compression, cranks and rear seals differ, HEI's seem more difficult to work on than Durasparks, balancers and timing pointers vary widely, intake bolts leak, and header bolt/sparkplug access is painful. It will take the same parts, good heads, well matched cam, intake, carb and ignition, as well as trans, and cost and such to get decent performance from the Chebby as with a native Ford motor. Just figured out you cannot change the 350 cam without dropping the oilpan!

I would also note that the car is not going to be popular with either the Chevy or the Ford crowd, especially for resale.

To each his own, it can be done, but I can't see why.

Just adding my .02.

I'm a firm believer that anything is possible, I transplanted a 460 into a fox body but used a front plate mount instead of motormounts, the pan area is tight and the fox body uses a two sump pan of the sbf and bbf. don't forget the cost of trannies or adapt. for the right combo. driveshafts should pose very little problems once u understand universal joints and a few common parts numbers for them. I have had a chevy 383 stroker built, wasn't pleased and will stick with my mustangs and t'birds.