351 swap question

I recently purchased a 95 v6 with no motor or trans. I what to do a 351 swap and am wondering if there is a perticular car that i can get a carbed 351 with and aod or five speed so i can use both the engine and trans, and maybe other components( brakes, rear, etc)

Thanks for all your help:hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

if you found someone that sold a 95' cobra r engine and tranny, but i doubt you would be able to find one, but you could go a few different ways

1. buy 351 longblock and then customize it how you want
2. get a pickup engine
3. buy a crate motor

but with 2 and 3 i am not sure if the T-5 will hook up with the 351 but i am sure you could find a tranny that would hook up

Other than the 95 R, I can't think of a direct bolt in engine/tranny combo.

The 351W has the same bolt pattern as the 5.0L, so any Mustang transmission/bellhousing will bolt up to one.

Do the V-6's use the same K-member as the V-8's? I've never looked into a V-6/V-8 swap so I don't know what all is required...

you would have to probably do some serious modding to get it done and if you don't know what your doing it will just be really frustating trying to get everything to fit right. a 351 in a stang would be awesome but i think the 302 would make you happy enough, I am not sure on the k-member. i know that you will need a new fan, new rear-end, new ECU, and then it all depends on HP and Torque on where you go whether you need to really upgrade ur tranny and diff. things.

Starting with a rolling chassis like you have the 351w swap won't be much more expensive. It isn't a hard swap. The V-6 k-member is the same as the GT in your year model. If you have any questions just send me a pm.

I agree with you s351, the swap shouldn't be any more difficult than a 5.0 swap. I tried to pm you but you box is full. I found a 1990 police vic with a 351w to use, my question... is this a roller motor and can I use the tranny thats with it?:hail2:

1990 was still a flat tappet lifter.

The roller 351 was used in the Lightening in 94.

You have two options on the valvetrain if you want hydraulic roller with pre roller blocks... either get linkbar lifters, or use a standard lifter / dog bone and spider with a reduced base circle cam.

Getting custom grind reduced base circles are about as much as the linkbars though.

The lightning motor did not come with a roller cam. It was roller capable in 94 and 95. F-series trucks with the 351w were roller motors. The lightning cam with a flat tappet torque cam. The original part number for it prior to being in the SVO catalog was an early 70's stock grind. I would shy away from the crown vic motor. You can find roller motors for the same price. With the 90's motors there is no strength difference. I cleaned out my pm box. I'll send you a pm with my contact info in it. I have just about everything needed for the swap in my garage. I have anything from stock, mild, to race only. I also have a tremec for sale that came in my R-model.

Dude the swap wasn't that hard. Since you wanna go carbed like me, just get yourself a torker II intake, a fuel pressure regulater to slow down the fuel going to the carb, a nice 650-750 DP carb, Kmember and everything else is the same as 302.

Thanks for the info i shall begin my quest to find one. Did purchase and pulled an 8.8 with 9000 miles on a fresh rebuild out of an 88 tc got the shop receipt for the work and much to my surprise... 31 spline with 3.73 and a heavy duty auburn and disc brakes only $350. I thought it was a good deal.

When I find a f4te and switch to carb will I be able to use the distributor that comes with the motor? I plan on running a stealth intake and 650-750 carb.:flag:

what is this stealth intake you speak of?

steede302 said:
Thanks for the info i shall begin my quest to find one. Did purchase and pulled an 8.8 with 9000 miles on a fresh rebuild out of an 88 tc got the shop receipt for the work and much to my surprise... 31 spline with 3.73 and a heavy duty auburn and disc brakes only $350. I thought it was a good deal.

When I find a f4te and switch to carb will I be able to use the distributor that comes with the motor? I plan on running a stealth intake and 650-750 carb.:flag:

steede302 said:
Already have that covered( read above) But I do have a question about the tb rear. It is 3/4 inch wider on each side, will I have wheel and tire fitment issues?:shrug:

Depending on what wheels u get. Im pretty sure guys with 8" wheels get spacers. Maybe u could get wheels with a different back spacing to offset the 3/4":shrug: