351 w heads on a 302?

91foxbod50

Sep 26, 2007
I have a set of 351 w heads that look like they can bolt up to my 302 block, i also have a friend w/ a gt40 intake... could this combo work out for me? need advice im planning on doing this soon

• Sponsors (?)

They bolt on, except you'd need the 351 1/2" head bolts to the smaller
302 head bolts, pretty commonly available reasonable.

But do a little research on those 351 heads, they may not even be as
good as your 302 HO heads, depending on what you have on there.

GT40 is a super intake for a moderate street motor - way more low/mid range
torque than any aftermarket intake.

check this out www.tmossporting.com

also http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/173_0101_super/index1.html

Im in the process of building a 351w...The heads you have should have larger intake ports and breathe a little better than the stock 5.0 heads. The down fall is that the bolt holes on the 351w heads are 1/2 and the 302 are 7/16. it can be done, but be careful.

Also, according to one of my books, the intake port is .25" wider, so you should pull more air. The compression chamber is about the same, so no loss in compression ratio should take place.

Good luck...let us know how it goes

~Darren

A set of e7 heads with a home port job will flow as much or more and make more power under the curve. If you could find gt-40 or gt-40p heads you would be way ahead of the curve here. The technology today is a bit better than it was 39 years ago.

odd thing i noticed today, one of the valves looked as if they were pushed in further then the others... is this normal? all of the other valves looked fine but one was pushed in

Check to see if the 351W heads are from the '69-'70 model years. If they're not, don't use them. Those two years had the best heads and if you had a ported/polished set, you could achieve 300 rwhp. All of the 351W heads in the '71-up family were smog versions and in the '80's, Ford began using the 302 heads on those motors.

The heads are deffinetly 69 351w heads.. But like i was saying, im not sure if i should use them because the #1 cylinder valve is pushed INTO the head and is not flush or lipped like the rest