351 W Question

Hey guys thanks for all the input, this thread seems to have gotten a bit heated, as opinions differ on the pros and cons of the non roller block conversion, to that I say to each his own :D. I.E if one were to have a non roller block laying around it might be worth the investment of the $$ to buy the set up instead of buying a used roller block from the yard, for me it would make more sense to just go ahead and get a complete 351w roller block and be done with it, though the early blocks are stronger, Im just looking to get 400/425 RWHP and run it carbed. Bottom line is I purchased this car in '02 with the plan to modify it and use it only on weekends or when hanging out with our Stang club, but $$ problems due to injuries and other BS in life, have hampered and altered our plans, BUT Im still going to finish this project one way or another, If I can't swing the $ for retro roller kits, my thinking is get a roller block, if I can't afford to keep it fuel inj. I'll run it carbed, sell my HCI and the other stuff to get the $$ together to make it happen, follow through, get it done:Damnit: I really value the opinions of everybody on this site you folks are the best and always help out no matter if it's something simple stupid, or brain cramping hard. I used to think I was a pretty fart smeller till I got here, I still learn something new everytime I log on:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

fwiw, i was going to go carbed, but i think i'm gonna stay efi instead, so i have some stuff for sale if you are interested ... a rpm air gap intake, a 750 holley carb, a msd distributor, a new air cleaner and fuel filter, and some summit carb fuel lines. i also have some comp hydraulic roller lifters if you decide to go the small base circle route. give me a call if you are interested in them. pm me for my phone number

Chris is always learning like the rest of us, has a wealth of knowledge in SEVERAL areas and everyone here likes him. As to the insults "74" like to dish out - that behavior is not welcome here. Maybe he mistakenly dialed in on the wrong forum? :shrug:

I hit this forum when it was just in its infancy, I did not "dial up" the wrong forum. I have broadband now, back then it was dial up. So your wrong.
Insults are not given, they are only taken. I stand behind my views, but am willing to adjust to anyones since my probation officer sees my every waking click of the keyboard.

Just kiddin.......love you guys!

fwiw, i was going to go carbed, but i think i'm gonna stay efi instead, so i have some stuff for sale if you are interested ... a rpm air gap intake, a 750 holley carb, a msd distributor, a new air cleaner and fuel filter, and some summit carb fuel lines. i also have some comp hydraulic roller lifters if you decide to go the small base circle route. give me a call if you are interested in them. pm me for my phone number
I just figure it less expensive to go carb because of the added dyno tune time or buying a Tweecer or tuning device, I will keep you in mind when it's time hopefully soon 30 days or so.

To go with a carb swap that would be fitting a well put together 351 combo its not that cheap either.

Your going to pay for parts either way...why step backward and loose drivability, mpg, and the added hassle of passing visual inspection (at least we are smog exempt here in MO now). I know you probably have a hookup working in the field but really both done right will not be cheap.

A fairly mild combo even will prob. be close in cost. Throw out what your parts list is looking like and your goals. Not trying to make do one thing or the other, I am just a guy that is more comfortable with EFI than carb.

The gen1 lighting guys have good results from running our cams. I gave my buddy my stock cam to put in his gen1 and he moved up to AFR 185's. It is a way small cam for the heads but it did run well for just box stock AFR 185's, stock mustang cam, and the stock gt40 intake. He even kept the speed density until just recently. I am not saying you should go this route but there are cams OTS cams that will work well enough/or customs that will let you "slide" until you can get a tune. If you want someone else to tune it there is a VERY "in the know" guy local who is very resonable and he knows the 94-95 eec very well.