351 W

zeusmoto

Feb 15, 2004
utah
alright guys i know that the horsepower and torque that i am pushing right now is great and i understand that i need to get the power to the ground with a better suspension. but what i really want to do right now is drop a 351 in my car, is it fairly easy to switch my 5.0 engine with the 351, also would all my mods bolt on to this engine or would it require tons of mods to fit my s/c and gt40 intake..etc etc. i have many many mods on my car and i still want them to work with the new engine, i hope it just drops in.

also does anyone have the specs for a stock 351? hp? tq? anything i really want to beef up the power i like my 302 but....

• Sponsors (?)

ok,
Comin from someone who should know. Now ,mind you my S351 is making 10 lbs. of boost , and has a few other goodies like intake, crank, pistons, big injectors and the sort. (but when I'm just on the motor) the thing has huge amounts of torque. My car is rated at 371 hp w/out the blower. 500 with. Gob's of torque. Rev limiter at 5750. Hmm. I get a little detonation with 91 octane at full throttle though.
Anyway, If you want some tire ripping torque, go with the 351W. I may be mistaken but almost everything should work, including the manifold bolting up.
Someone jump in here if need be. I'm really only telling you that there is little comparison between my built 302 and the 351.

My two cents

He is correct.
Headers
hood, or the low motor mounts (you have to get down there anyway)
flywheel
You want a new balancer!
and of course spark.
There are always a few things you can't get around. You would replace them anyway if you were going down to the bottom on your 302 anyway.

Thanks 97 Cobra.

senility strikes!

Heres what I got, and I ain't even fuel injected:
OIL PAN
DISTRIBUTOR
HEADERS
FLYWHEEL/FLEXPLATE
BALANCER
BRACKETS FOR P/S AND OR A/C
HOOD CLEARANCE (COWL HOOD, CARB SET UP, OR SPECIAL SALEEN MOUNTS)
THESE ARE THE BARE MINIMUM YOU WILL HAVE TO HAVE TO PUT IT IN THERE.
Fuel injected will also require: fuel rail, lower intake.....thats what I got for ya, others may have more, and I'm sure I missed something. Lots of mods.

also for 351w efi......reprogam or replace the computer, fuel pump, injectors....and on and on...would you really use the stock intake?? i don't think so.

i myself am struggling with the cost of efi vs. a carb setup.

alright so what about weight distribution and stuff if too much weight is put on the mounts then wont stuff strat breaking eventually? i was thinking of putting a 347 ci from pan handle performance, that is putting out 430 hp just with the engine. also i was wondering what mods i would need for this engine to make it fit. i have efi so give it to me guys , what am i gonna need?