351 Windsor, considering stroker

Hi guys, i have a question about my motor. I bought a D4AE 351 windsor block, a lunati 61001 cam (in-.483,exh-.499) with 1.7 roller rockers on edlbrock e-street heads with the intent of rebuilding the bottom end and putting it in my 68 as is. I started taking the bottom end apart and the block is going to have to be bored out. So i started pricing out new pistons/rings, bearings, and machining and its close to a stroker kit in price. i was wondering if its worth the extra couple bucks to stroke it to a 393 or 408. i would still have to machine it but the kit has everything else.Also will my cam work with the stroker? Any opinions are appreciated, thanks:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

That isn't much cam for a stock W, let alone any real performance gains, especially if you are looking at a 393.

I've been looking at 393's my self, and I hate to say that I think I am only going to go with a .030 over 351 (357).

I bought a pair of trick flow aluminum heads, but they aren't big enough to support a 393. So by the time I get the stroker assy, PLUS a cam kit, PLUS the few hundred bucks for heads, (if I get 1K for my still in the wrapper new ones) I'm over budget, by more than I want to spend today.
I already have the ignition covered, (full MSD) 670 Holley, Air Gap intake, and 3.89 rear gears.

if you are going to get a kit go with the 4.00" crank. i've went with a 4.1" crank and the result is less piston options...

if you decide to stroke, be prepared for a money black hole. if you have the money then no problem. just be prepared for the potential thought and other people telling you that the cam won't take advantage of the cubes, then the heads won't be big enough, intake, carb, headers....

then the next thing you know, you'll need to upgrade your clutch/transmission, rear end....

"the cam won't take advantage of the cubes, then the heads won't be big enough, intake, carb, headers....

then the next thing you know, you'll need to upgrade your clutch/transmission, rear end "

All true.... Are you a member of a local car club? Do you have ready access to somebody that has built a motor like that? You may be happier with just a freshened up 351..Not everybody feels the same need for speed...

I had the same delima. Decided on a 427 stroker kit from the mustang depot and no extra clearancing required. Went with roller cam and alum aftermarket heads. Probably have close to $4K invested in the motor alone, not counting the efi stuff too. Depending on how you drive your toy depends on how much else you will be upgrading.

4k aint bad at all.

And strokers don't have to be a money pit either. It depends on how you use it. I got a Coast kit for less than $1000, and spent 1200 at the machine shop. Most the expenses were expenses I would have had with the 351 anyway.

I put about $3500 into mine with ceramic shorties and the Edelbrock RPM package. That ain't bad for about 450 horse.