Engine 351w Cam

1992 SSP

15 Year Member
Apr 2, 2012
ive got a 1977 351 w that im going to put together for my 92. ive read that you can use a flat tappet cam with the stock computer but are limited on the size. does anyone know how big of a cam you can run ( ball park figure)? thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

sorry i guess i should have elaborted a little on my intentions and parts i will use. 60 over 351w, edelbrock 5.0/5.8 heads,1.6 roller rockers, t5 not sure on intake probably trick flow and not sure of headers possibly bbk long tubes. 3.55 gear. the car will be a street car. thanks

i was just wondering what you guys thought the limits( how big) of a flat tappet cam used with a stock computer would be, just a ball park figure. im not going to go real big when i buy a cam and will call the cam company when ive reached that point in the project. thanks again

Basically you are walking into a bar and asking everyone what drink you should get. That's why any decent engine builder will ask for a spec sheet so they can recommend the right cam for your setup.

The MAF cars can handle cams quite well. If you had an SD car, then you would have issues.

Just know you'll have to get a calibrated MAF meter for whatever size injectors you run (stock won't handle your set up) along with a larger fuel pump. Oh and make sure the valve springs on those heads can support whatever cam you run. The Eddy valve springs aren't the best out there.