390 In a 65?

I have owned many 390s and 428s. The statement that a 390 is a station wagon motor has some truth to it. It's heavy and torquey, which is perfect for a heavy car.

There is a reason Ford started putting 428s into Mustangs in 68. The 396 Camaros were beating them like a mule.

That being said, I love torque!!!

• Sponsors (?)

D.Hearne said:
OK got me there-- I confused comments PoliceInterceptor's commonts with RonStang's As for cobra232's post----- the 360 that was used in Nascar was a destroked 427 not a 360 out of a pickup. The 330 and 332 are very different engines. The 330 had a 4" bore and 3.3" stroke, the truck FT 332 was a 3.75 bore x 3.5 inch stroke. And not all FT's had steel cranks
Wendell Scotts 360 was a truck wedge engine. he did not have the money for a 427 let alone a custom desrtoked 427. they got it from a wrecked pickup and built it themselves and won the race with it

you would need a 3.125 inch stroke to destroke the 427 all the way down to 360 and use a super long rod. not great for racing

you are correct with the 332 car and 330 FT engine though, i forgot they were different

the 361 edsel 360 truck and 359/361FT truck all share the same bore/stroke

most FT's had steel cranks the older ones didn't but all were heavy high nickel content blocks. i wish they were crossbolted like the late 406 and 427"s

PoliceInterceptor said:
I do at least agree that the Windsor is a better choice for a 65-66.

BTW, you should pick up copy of September Mustang and Ford where in your glorious Windsor got bested (505.4 hp vs 486 hp) by a Station Wagon Motor despite having a cubic inch advantage (423 vs 427.6)
Umm, I'm curious about the build up. At the end which engine was bigger and heavier?

On the dyno, the 390 made a higher number, but the W is still smaller and lighter, will fit more easily in a smaller car... I'm pretty sure the W wins that build up.

I'm not saying the W is the end all be all of performance motors, I just think it's a better motor for all around street performance than a 390.

But like you said, agree to disagree. :)
I'm not going to say someone who built a 390 made a mistake. Different people want different things. You gotta please yourself. :nice:

I have heard something about too much torque....the only time there is too much torque is when you start breaking axles :D. Stephen I have seen you post many times asking engine questions and I suppose you plan to make a swap soon...If you want my personal...not professional opinion...go for a 351W. With the aftermarket availibility...you could stroke it out to a 393 and woop the pants off a 390 and still have the option to supercharge or fuel/nitrous injection for more go. just because it sounds like a good deal doesn't mean it is. Search for a little longer for a good ole windsor and build it to crush the competition.

cobra232 said:
Wendell Scotts 360 was a truck wedge engine. he did not have the money for a 427 let alone a custom desrtoked 427. they got it from a wrecked pickup and built it themselves and won the race with it

you would need a 3.125 inch stroke to destroke the 427 all the way down to 360 and use a super long rod. not great for racing

you are correct with the 332 car and 330 FT engine though, i forgot they were different

the 361 edsel 360 truck and 359/361FT truck all share the same bore/stroke

most FT's had steel cranks the older ones didn't but all were heavy high nickel content blocks. i wish they were crossbolted like the late 406 and 427"s
There was a destroked 427 Nascar motor, using the 330's crank but it specs out at 371 cid. There may have also been a sleeved version to decrease the bore size to get to 360 also. A 4.13 bore with a 3.3 crank would get you 353 inches. I seriously doubt anyone winning a Nascar race with a garden variety 360 FE unless the rest of the cars in the race DNF'd. I don't recall which, but there was a cast crank version of the FT in the 70's it was the 359 and 389. The 361 and 391's had the steel cranks. As for the nickle block thing, probably the foremost authority on FE's has done extensive research into the casting techniques and has found NO evidence of Ford ever using nickle in their blocks. It appears to be an uban legend of sorts. :nice:

Hack said:
I stand behind what I said before. I hear what D.Hearne and others are saying about the 390 making a lot of power, and Ford put a lot of them in Mustangs? I would have expected that Ford put most 390s in station wagons and pickups, though. :D

The 390 is more suited to a pickup or a station wagon, because it's heavy and torquey. The bore/stroke ratio is not optimum for high revs.

:)
Sure Ford put more of them in station wagons and pickups, but what I said, was there were more of them in Stangs and Fairlanes/Torinos than 428's and 427's combined. And a 390 isn't all that more heavy than a 351W. Dress one with aluminum heads and intake and it'll weigh less than a factory Windsor. As for optimum bore/stroke ratios. that's debateable. Stroke a Windsor to equal a 390, and whatever advantage you saw there disappears.

D.Hearne said:
Sure Ford put more of them in station wagons and pickups, but what I said, was there were more of them in Stangs and Fairlanes/Torinos than 428's and 427's combined. And a 390 isn't all that more heavy than a 351W. Dress one with aluminum heads and intake and it'll weigh less than a factory Windsor. As for optimum bore/stroke ratios. that's debateable. Stroke a Windsor to equal a 390, and whatever advantage you saw there disappears.

exactly, so for the money you can have a rebuilt but mild 390, hack up the front of your car and fit it in. OOOORRRRR stroke a 351 up to 435cubes and fit it right in and prob save yourself some $$ and end up with more HP/TQ. Only prob is your still going to have somewhat small headers for such a large cubic inch motor. I believe they make 1 3/4 swap headers but for a 427 inch motor thats kinda small IMO. 393 is what alot of ppl seem to like building up cause its more of a budget motor.

D.Hearne said:
There was a destroked 427 Nascar motor, using the 330's crank but it specs out at 371 cid. There may have also been a sleeved version to decrease the bore size to get to 360 also. A 4.13 bore with a 3.3 crank would get you 353 inches. I seriously doubt anyone winning a Nascar race with a garden variety 360 FE unless the rest of the cars in the race DNF'd. I don't recall which, but there was a cast crank version of the FT in the 70's it was the 359 and 389. The 361 and 391's had the steel cranks. As for the nickle block thing, probably the foremost authority on FE's has done extensive research into the casting techniques and has found NO evidence of Ford ever using nickle in their blocks. It appears to be an uban legend of sorts. :nice:
i have chemically tested 361,391FT blocks and a 427. both had high nickel content compared to a 352,a 360 and 3 390's i tested.

Wendell Scott did in fact use a 360 truck block to win. i"ll see if i can dig up the info on it.

regardless, a set of edelbrock heads on a 360 with a 428 crank/flywheel/rods and 410 pistons will out perform 90% of 351 windsors based engines

410 cubes of FE vs 427 cubes of windsor. the FE will make more power. it is larger and will make clearance an issue in the 64-66 stang but i'd rather go that route than the windsor just to be different

If you took $5000 and put that into each motor...which would be better??

It seems that you have to start moding the 351 just to get to the base level of the 390. Stephen needs to decide if he wants a small heavily modified 351, or a heavy torquey 390. Yes driving a big block car is a little more of a challenge but it sure is fun to have all that torque. And big block engines can be blown or NOx added just as easily as a 351.

cobra232 said:
i have chemically tested 361,391FT blocks and a 427. both had high nickel content compared to a 352,a 360 and 3 390's i tes
If you have proof, then go to the Ford FE big block forum on Network54 and post it there. There are quite a few FE followers there that would appreciate the info. :nice:

blown65 said:
exactly, so for the money you can have a rebuilt but mild 390, hack up the front of your car and fit it in. OOOORRRRR stroke a 351 up to 435cubes and fit it right in and prob save yourself some $$ and end up with more HP/TQ. Only prob is your still going to have somewhat small headers for such a large cubic inch motor. I believe they make 1 3/4 swap headers but for a 427 inch motor thats kinda small IMO. 393 is what alot of ppl seem to like building up cause its more of a budget motor.
Now you're trying to make it sound like I advocated sticking the 390 into a 65-66, which I did not. You need to go back and read what i posted. As for small tube headers, that's not necessarily going to hurt a larger cube motor, especially on the street. I've run relatively restricted Shelby Tri-Y's with a 7500 rpm Canfield headed roller 5.0 and the way it pulled all the way up to there, you'd never guess they were there. Bigger isn't always better. :nice:

You save money on the front end work and you have more horsepower and torque for the same amount with a lighter engine. Unless you would want to brag about having an FE...there is no reason you shouldn't stroke a windsor. Like Blown said...it is more of a budget motor...but it is still fast :D

65straightsick said:
You save money on the front end work and you have more horsepower and torque for the same amount with a lighter engine. Unless you would want to brag about having an FE...there is no reason you shouldn't stroke a windsor. Like Blown said...it is more of a budget motor...but it is still fast :D
yuck. that's like putting a 350 in a 40 chevy. yeah $hit is cheap for them but who hasen't done the windsor or 350 chevy?

way to plain and common for me. why not spend just alittle more to be different. the FE will not break the bank like most think.

i'd rather go with a 370 school bus engine than a windsor

like i said the windsor has it's advantages like being samll and popular but it will not be cool when the hood is popped. FE or even Y block if you have extra cash.

a 360 ford can be had for $25-$50 in a junkyard and great parts for power can be had for cheap if one is willing to look. even stock displacement 360 is a good choice. swap out the crappy 360 rods for 352 or 332 rods, edelbrock heads and intake or weiand intake or Sidewinder intake, Ross or Arais pistons any make cam with 230+ dur and 560 lift and you have at least 1 hp/cubic inch and not much money invested. also the 360 can be turned into an EFI engine by using the weiand intake and EFI spyder setup with a 5.0 computer if you like that flavor.

i'll admit the FE isn't the best for the 64-66 stang but it's better than a windsor that didn't appear till 68

FE's seem to be the lost great engine. they are revered and kicked alot of a$$ in their day but nobody wants to revive them. it's a shame they are truely one of the best power to weight engines available

ratio411 said:
I wouldn't recommend the swap...

BUT:
It will fit.

Several companies make headers for the swap. I doubt very seriously you could get a set of manifolds to work in that swap.

Dave[/QUOTE

Ratio... Who makes headers to put an FE into a 65- 66? I am very curious, because I have always been told that the FE engine physically will NOT clear the shock towers in the early models. I thought that was the reason they redesigned the shock towers in '67 to fit the 390.

I am an avid FE fan and I also would not advocate an FE into a 65 or 66. It would probably be a nightmare laying that out. Stick to a windsor or cleveland.

Station Wagon and Truck

Well damn, my motor was in Station Wagons and trucks for a good long time. Then again, the 351 Cleveland never was too good a performer.... :rlaugh:

Oh and yea, that silly 351W and 302 never were in the Station Wagons or trucks were they? Oh, my F-150 has a 302 in it. Damn, no good there.

460 would be good for it? Well that's definitely in my E-350 sitting out front so it must be a truck motor, no good.

4.6L, thats sitting out in my Grand Marquis, close enough to a station wagon.

My point in all this is that all you need to build a decent motor is a baseline. Frankly 390 cubic inches is a great baseline. If the guy says he's gonna rebuild it, he can go with a 9.5:1 Compression and work on the top end. If you guys honestly think a 9.5:1 compression with a worked set of heads and a cam wouldn't run right, I'm confused. You throw a set of headers and a decent intake in there, and I can see a good set of HP numbers and a torque monster.

Sure, it wouldn't be my first choice, mainly because of the necessity to do a MII swap front end and that's not my specialty (Still not sure what my specialty is except breaking things :D ). Hey man, if you want to go for it, you'd be unique and I'd give you a high five when I saw it.

65straightsick said:
If you want my personal...not professional opinion...go for a 351W. With the aftermarket availibility...you could stroke it out to a 393 and woop the pants off a 390.

I don't know if you've heard, but the aftermarket for the FE is heating up. There are 4.125" and 4.25" stroke cranks from Scat for the lowly 360/390 that use a BBC rod journal size. Several piston companies are shelf stocking pistons in various overbores with the BBC pin size for the FE's, and 6.7" BBC rods are cheap (obviously an aftermarket rod as that's not a stock BBC length so it's not technically a GM part). Stroking ain't just for the small blocks now. I'll be building a stroker 390 that will utilize one of these 2 cranks and either a set of Edelbrock or the soon to be released Blue Thunder heads with a Tunnel Wedge and the same pair of 660's that was on my 289 (with bigger jets :D ). I'll take on all comers from a windsor based, N/A motors. The motor will be in a '63 Fairlane clone of the T-bolt prototype from Tasca. Anticipated numbers will be from the high 9 second to low 10 second range in a car weighing around 2800#.

All that being said, don't put a FE in a '65-'66 unless you like challenges and have lots of ka-ching. It can be done (I know of a 427 Cammer in a '65-'66 fastback that still has the stock front end in it, but got rid of the front coils and went to a coilover with the factory style control arms, but it's a show car and parade car, oh and the towers are notched, but they're still there) and has some wow factor, but with the used parts out there in heads and stuff, you'd be stupid not to go windsor based.

$50 is a decent price for the motor, you can probably part it out on the FE forum and make some money to go towards a windsor motor. Heck, I have a '69 351w block (a desirable block, a bit shorter deck than the '71 and later blocks) and crank I'd probably trade for that 390. They have some surface rust on them and will need some machine work but my problem is, I've lost the main caps. There's a company that makes 4 bolt caps for this block and since it has to go to the machine shop anyway... Also, there are some Nascar 4 bolt caps always being sold on Ebay that have the more desirable Cleveland main diameter, another company makes a bearing spacer to use with these caps (they also sell the caps) and then you can use a Cleveland crank.

Sorry to continue an OT line of discussion, but I just have to say that this is a great thread!! I've learned more about 390s from this thread than from all the 3 + months I've been hanging out on this forum. Thank you all for the education. :)

Well, for a real FEducation, you need to check out FordFE.com. Some of those guys over there just blow me away. One guy, Dave Schouweiler (or Dave Shoe as he posts as, or Dr. Shoe as most of us that are not worthy refer to him), is collecting vasts amounts of info to write a book on the FE as most everything out there has incorrect information.