3rd Gear Hesitation/bogg?

90lxwhite

I'm kind of a She-Man
5 Year Member
Aug 25, 2011
Between the Red and Rio
When I "get on it" in 3rd (bout half throttle) the car will kinda hesitate like it bogs down and then it'll go. I've had the vortech on about 6 months now w out issue until now. The only recent events were I needed a new alternator and the ect came unplugged and was unplugged about a week maybe. It's now plugged in it is still running rough when I get on the gas a little. Normal driving is fine. What do y'all think? Ran codes and all is clear.

• Sponsors (?)

These things sometimes slip or magically change. They are Easy first diagnostic steps. Too advanced ignition timing can cause lugging at low rpm under load, computerized or not. And if the computer is confused about the throttle opening, that is a general drivability problem. After that, you pull codes, running and not, do a cylinder balance test, then post the results. Someone wise may post specific answers then, but start with the basics.

Reactions: 1 user
These things sometimes slip or magically change. They are Easy first diagnostic steps. Too advanced ignition timing can cause lugging at low rpm under load, computerized or not. And if the computer is confused about the throttle opening, that is a general drivability problem. After that, you pull codes, running and not, do a cylinder balance test, then post the results. Someone wise may post specific answers then, but start with the basics.
I had code 118- ect above max voltage, the sensor was unplugged. It's now plugged in and KOEO I'm all clear w a 111 and koer I get a 511, I guess due to the ect chip. However it still runs the same. Starts up right away, idles and drives fine until I get in the throttle and then it'll bog. It doesn't do it every time though it seems. Today I was rolling along in 2nd gear and I got on the gas and it peeled out and went. It does seem to be getting poorer gas mileage lately as well and I'm not driving it very hard.

Are you running your old tuned chip with the vortech? If so, take out that chip until you get a tune.

Joe
Yes, yes I am. It was running problem free for 5-6 months or so until recently w the chip in. I don't believe the car will run w out the chip. The builder put the wrong cam in, he used a carb cam, so I had to get a tune for it to work. This was years ago.

Last edited:
It sounds like it's running lean. Might be in the fuel map tune. If you are running a n/a tune from before(which I don't think you are) you're asking for trouble. If it is a seperate tune for the blower I'd take it back to the tuner. Before hand though check plugs and what octane fuel are you running? Have you changed brands or octane? Also how long was the ect unplugged?

It sounds like it's running lean. Might be in the fuel map tune. If you are running a n/a tune from before(which I don't think you are) you're asking for trouble. If it is a seperate tune for the blower I'd take it back to the tuner. Before hand though check plugs and what octane fuel are you running? Have you changed brands or octane? Also how long was the ect unplugged?
The ect was unplugged a week maybe. It's been tuned twice before n/a and hasn't been tuned since adding the vortech. I'm using the t-Rex and fmu and the same 93 octane that's been in the car since '95. The blowers been on awhile now and problems arose after the ect episode.

Have you unhooked the battery to clear codes? It only acts up in 3rd gear under load? Wot affected? Or just part throttle?
Yeah the battery has been disconnected. I first noticed the bogg in 3rd when going from a "cruise" to half throttle. When it bogged I let up. Yesterday I went full throttle in 2nd gear from a roll and it ran strong. I rarely "get on it" due to being leery since it hasn't been retuned but its been running fine until lately. I had a tune appointment a couple weeks back that I missed due to alternator probs the nite before. Ever since then its been giving me trouble. (Left the ect unplugged after alt install. I haven't called to set up a new tune yet, I need to but the last tune I had to book 4 mo in advance.