4.10 gears installed last Saturday

Marc S

Jan 23, 2009
I had my 4.10 gears installed last Saturday along with Competition Engineering race LCA and Toyo T1R 275/40/18 tires. Everyone was right, the gears made a noticable difference in the performance. And the LCA's are very high quality for the price. The 4.10A gears cost me $144.00 with my discount from Ford and the install was $150.00 from a Ford certified mechanic friend. This month, long tube headers and O/R X pipe.

• Sponsors (?)

In my opinion, it's the perfect gear for a n/a. 2500 RPM's at 75 MPH is no big deal considering my daily driver was once a 57 chevy with 5.38 gears and a 4 speed. I traded that car for a 68 Roadrunner with a 426 Hemi with 4.10 gears and a 4 speed (still have it). Cruising at 70 MPH at 4,000 RPM's was normal back then.

I had 3.55 gears originally. I don't think 4.30's would be to low a gear with the stock tire diameter. I guess it depends on what a person uses their car for and how modified it is. If I only drag raced the car, I would run a 4.88 gear. That would put the RPM's at around 6400 RPM's through the lights on a basically stock S197. With a set of 28/11.5/15 slicks with a properly setup car, it would 60' hard and maybe dip into the 11's. I might have to try it.

that's my thought as well....with hte taller tire the 4.30's in the s197 would be comparable to having 4.10's in a sn95....or 4.10's is like having 3.73's. Anyway you seem to have the same thought, I just wanted to hear somebody elses opinion.

did you have 3.55's or 3.31's originally? Do you think 4.30's would be over kill?

4.30's can work OK in a manual GT as there's a steeper overdrive (0.68) than the automatic GT's use (0.71). I have 4.10's in my 07 GT automatic and absolutely love them. However, at the dragstrip I'm into 5th gear (overdrive) about 200 ft before the end of the track (using shorter 275/40/17 drag radials). Not ideal to have to shift into 5th at the dragstrip, so less gear would have been better in my case (and/or a taller tire).

I had 4.30's in my last Mustang (03 Mach 1), but it was a stick shift car and could rev 1,000 rpm's higher than my '07 GT, so I crossed the finish line in 4th on the same 275/40/17 drag radials.

If your car will stay N/A, then 4.10's or 4.30's are awesome. If you will do a lot of heavy breathing N/A mods or run forced induction, then a little less gear would be better (3.73's or 3.90's).

I had 3.55 gears originally. I don't think 4.30's would be to low a gear with the stock tire diameter. I guess it depends on what a person uses their car for and how modified it is. If I only drag raced the car, I would run a 4.88 gear. That would put the RPM's at around 6400 RPM's through the lights on a basically stock S197. With a set of 28/11.5/15 slicks with a properly setup car, it would 60' hard and maybe dip into the 11's. I might have to try it.

Marc, I would really like to line up against you sometime at Pacific Raceways or Bremerton this season. I think you'll be nearly as fast as me with the mods you've got (and especially those you have planned). Should be a heckuva race. Any idea when PR will run their first test n tune sessions? I'm itchin' to get some runs in now while we have such cool air.

I'm trying to get as many mods done as fast as I can before the tracks open. The only way I will be able to run with your car is to out 60' you. You will be pulling me on the top end big time. I see that Pacific Raceways final hired a track manager, hopefully their schedule will be posted soon. I'm going to order a aluminum driveshaft today from Steeda, I hope the performance increase claims are real.

I knew you would chime in eventually LOL! What is your 60' time?

I'm trying to get as many mods done as fast as I can before the tracks open. The only way I will be able to run with your car is to out 60' you. You will be pulling me on the top end big time. I see that Pacific Raceways final hired a track manager, hopefully their schedule will be posted soon. I'm going to order a aluminum driveshaft today from Steeda, I hope the performance increase claims are real.

I knew you would chime in eventually LOL! What is your 60' time?

Hi, Marc, my 60' times aren't too bad for an automatic car. A best of 1.80, and no worse than 1.89 with the stall converter and drag radials. I suspect you could post some 1.70's with your GT, so you might get me off the line. I'm running 7.90's @ 90 in the 1/8 mile, so I suspect I'd be ahead of you by then.

A couple exhaust upgrades and you'd have nearly the top end rush that I have (I'm still corked up with 100% stock exhaust front to rear).

I had 4.30's in my last Mustang (03 Mach 1), but it was a stick shift car and could rev 1,000 rpm's higher than my '07 GT, so I crossed the finish line in 4th on the same 275/40/17 drag radials.

If your car will stay N/A, then 4.10's or 4.30's are awesome. If you will do a lot of heavy breathing N/A mods or run forced induction, then a little less gear would be better (3.73's or 3.90's).

I tend to agree. I'm going to go with 3.90, partially because I'm a road racer, and so getting out of the hole quickly isn't my greatest concern and 3.9 is tall enough to keep me out of first for the most part. I also plan on going with a shorter tire, 285x40x18 or 285x35x18. Although the difference between 4.1 and 3.9 is so small...
Dan

I met with the new Pacific Raceway's manager today, he seems like a first class guy. The first test & tune will be March 1st.

Thanks for the update. I sure hope there are more test & tune nights, and no long breaks in in the drag schedule (like last fall with a whole month shut down for drags while the road racers had a monopoly on the track).

I've noticed that Bremerton tends to run more smoothly and casually. Pacific Raceways gets backed up too easily, with long waits (literally hours) between runs. I've nearly given up on PR, so I hope the new track manager can get things streamlined for us.