4.10 gears (smart guys in here)

TopDeadCenter

May 15, 2004
Hmm pretty significant gain between 4.10's and 3.73's..drove a 96 5 speed with 373s and a 98 auto with 410's..410's are no jokes..

few good questions:

For the guys doing a LOT of highway driving (school/work) i heard 410s arnt the best choice..

hows that gas mileage?

4.10's are a must for autos..

oh and um..how bad does it throw ur speedo off? even thou i will be dyno/tuning..just curious

i say umm..suck it up and go with 410s on my 98 auto..what do u think?

• Sponsors (?)

Hey,

Gas mileage actually isn't that much different from my stock gears. I just had 4.10's installed this last Monday. Since then I've drove roughly 200 miles and that's about what I got per tank with my stock gears.

As for the speedo correction I bought a Speedcal thing... I haven't installed it yet so my speedometer is still 20mph fast.

So definately get 4.10's. I actually expected more of a difference than what I felt. I even had to drive a gutless BMW z3 for the weekend, so I thought it would feel crazy fast, but no... guess I need more ponies.

Hope this helps.

Right around 23 mpg with my 4:10's. The only problem in gas is you always want to get on it. On the highway you can bark the tires by dropping it in 4th and smashing the gas. No problems at top speed either, went around 130mph no problems. Tack said 150 but I don't have a program yet or speed cal. I figured its around 15 to 20 mph off. I know it doesn't add hp but it sure does feel like it LOL.

damn im impressed...i am doin a lotta highway driving going to school...

oh and whod yall get to install them?? what kinda shop? lookin for a price range..or do i wanna know..*sighs*

If I had a 98 auto I would definately get 4.10's. A mechanic at ford told me he would install USED gears for 225 parts and labor on his own time(not including a speedcal). I may be mistaken but I think the 98 gt's also had a few more horsepower than the 96's(225 versus 215 maybe?)

Hmmmmm, still get 23-24 with 4:10 gears the same as stock, must get gears. That has been my fear, I drive 120 miles a day and worried about gas consumption. Although my ranger did get like 18-20mpg.

Ok from what I undrestand from other post, instead of getting the speed cal corrector you can have your car dyno tuned that would correct the speedo also and get you the most HP.

Right or do you still have to buy something.

Man I need a side job or something so I can afford some new parts. :D

TopDeadCenter said:
damn im impressed...i am doin a lotta highway driving going to school...

oh and whod yall get to install them?? what kinda shop? lookin for a price range..or do i wanna know..*sighs*

I had my local ford dealership install them.They have installed a few sets for me in the past too. It has always been $200 labor. :nice:

..4.10 versus stock gear 3.27 difference is .83 or approxametly 25%(25.382). What that means with no ecu reflash or chip your speedo will read 25% more mph than you are actually going. Example actual 65 mph will read 81 mph on your speedo(125% of actual speed). Also another why to look at it is that you will be spinning the motor 125% faster for a given speed after you add your gears. Also this throws off your odometer...

As for mileage... I love to stay in 4th except on the highway. So my mpg is 18-20 typically.

I say 4.10's for that automatic. I have 4.30's in my car and I like them. I get about 22-23mpg on the highway and probably about 15-17mpg in town. Yeah, I know, the in town mileage sucks but it would suck one way or another. Gears aren't really an issue there. See my sig. for all my other mods.

I just drove my 03 from NY to CA with 4:10s (This is the second time I have driven the car cross country this year) and I got 25 mpg, with a high of 26 mpg. I did the whole trip at around 75 mph. Mileage in the city sucks, I get around 14 mpg, but I think thats because I get on it quite a bit and tend to keep it in 4th gear around town. As far as top speed goes, the fastest I have personally gone is 137 mph, and I can tell you the car wouldve definately kept going. If I remember what the car was like with stock gearing there was no way the car wouldve ever hit anything over 110 in a reasonable ammount of time, let alone 137.