4.10 HELP

Blackened302

Jul 21, 2005
South TX
hey guys, i need some help figuring out what's wrong w/ the 4.10 installation.

as we were assembling everything, we noticed that the pinion had some play in it.

we couldn't get the old pinion bearing off the old pinion, so i went to Advance and got a new one. we didn't think that they would be different, so we didn't measure them. could that be the problem?

we also used the same crush sleeve that was on the original pinion. could it not be long/short enough?

from what it looked like, the reason for play in the pinion was because it was not making enough contact w/ the ring, hence why we think the CRUSH SLEEVE or BEARING length has something to do with it... moreso the sleeve for not pushing the pinion in far enough (or whatever it does) so it could make enough contact w/ the ring and not have any play in it.

the gears i bought used (in good shape) and the only thing that came in the package was the ring and pinion--no bearings or crush leave, nothing. they are ford, too.

do they come with anything (crush sleeve, pinion bearing) when bought new?

do i need a longer crush sleeve or pinion bearing? help, please--need the car on the road ASAP.

thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

thanks, guys.

i'd like to be sure, though, so could someone explain why a crush sleeve cannot be re-used and how a new (and assuming the correct size one) will fix the free play in the pinion? thanks!

hang on a tick--i think i see what you mean about not re-using the crush sleeve.

the summit pic shows it wider than mine was--meaning mine was already crushed, literally. the uncrushed sleeve should provide the slight extra width we need to get the pinion to sit more on the ring, getting rid of the free-play.

am i correct?

sweet! thanks a lot, gentlemen!! gonna order this and have it shipped asap--i need my car on the road.

the free play in the pinion freaked us out...we were just about to bolt the cover up and add the new lube and take it for a spin, hehe.

thanks, guys!

sweet! thanks a lot, gentlemen!! gonna order this and have it shipped asap--i need my car on the road.

the free play in the pinion freaked us out...we were just about to bolt the cover up and add the new lube and take it for a spin, hehe.

thanks, guys!

:lol: i can see you guys sitting behind the car going...umm maybe its supposta be that way... (and this comment from the guy who dosent own the car) ummm lets just see what it does lol....