4.10s and loudness

sixstringthing

Aug 11, 2003
There's all these threads on 4.10s and gas mileage etc.... I could care less about the mileage, engine wear or those other issues. The one thing that scares the hell out of me is the noise at highway speeds. I have an 02 GT 5spd with a Prochamber and Flows, normally cruise around 75. I tried going on the highway in 4th and cruising at around 2500 RPM's..... geez it was pretty damn loud, your not exactly in the drone zone (although mine pretty much drones all the way from 2k to 3k it just varies in loudness) but the engine is like twice as loud and it felt SO stressed that I just had to switch to 5th after a few minutes.
I don't know if theres actually a difference in loudness in 4th gear at 2500 RPM then in 5th gear at 2500 RPM.... I would think not? But wow if that is an indication of how loud it will be/feel I don't know if I can take it.... if it wasn't for that I would already have them.

p.s. my car is NEVER raced nor will it ever be, it's a daily driver I just like speed.

• Sponsors (?)

The only thing that's going to make your car any louder (other than the exhaust) is RPM's. Obviously, the higher you rev it, the louder it's going to get. I usually cruise on the e-way at 75 in 5th and it's not that much more noticeably loud than with the 3.27's. It's slightly louder now that I have an o/r h pipe.

laynlow200 said:
Another thing to keep in mind is there will be a difference between 4th and 5th at 2500rpm's cause 5th gear is overdrive.

There will be a difference in speed, but revs is revs. Surely the sound is the same at the same revs whatever the gear?