*4.10's and the highway*

dkshadow said:
You wont hurt your engine running 3k rpms. Look at all the ricers. Theyre at that RPM range on the freeway and their motor seems to last :D

And PJDellenger, STOP WITH THE 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me'ING 3.55s!!! :chair: :uzi: :eek: :bang: :notnice: :rolleyes:

Yeah I've thought about that. However, 4cyl usually redline at 7k.

• Sponsors (?)

Its all going to come down to you man. Everybody has there own opinion. As for the 3:55s i'm goin to get alot of crap for this but i have them and despite popular opinion there is a difference between these ans the stock 3:27s. They also keep the revs down. At80? not sure, dont really drive that fast but at70 i'm at about 2100or 2200. The engine still relaxes pretty good. All depends on what your looking for so good luck. :nice:

Just a stupid question, but is it possibly to change 5th gear to reduce RPM at highway speed? I know that vets get such good gas milage because they have such lows RPM's in sixth.

I have 4:10's and I drive from NC to FL (630 miles) about four times a year. My last trip home I got a ticket for cruising 91mph and had been doing so for most of the trip. I've said this before, 4:10's used to be a big deal before overdrive transmissions were the norm.

I thought that 4.10's were too much, then one day I drove a friends car that has 4.10's, then I got out of his car and back into mine. The difference in rpm isn't that dramatic, but the performance is. I have decided since I am staying N/A I will probably get the 4.10's. Also I never race on the street and hardly ever drive very fast on the street! I think the extra rpm will keep me from speeding. I have always heard "don't fear the gear" and now I am a believer! :nice:

I'm in the same boat guys. I have driven the Mach 1 and Cobra with 3.55s....not a noticeable difference. The blower on the other hand was lol.
I drove my buddy's 85 GT with 3.73s, different car and trans, but you could see a real difference. I have not felt the 4.10s personally, but it seams like the way to go NA. I do a ton of highway driving, but so does my mechanic, and he has no problems on the highway.

4.10s seem the smarter way. We just need to get over the fear.

Fred

I agree, it took me a while to drop down to 4.10s, but I regret not getting them earlier.I always went with 3.73s in my old 5.0s, because I thought that 4.10s were too low.Gotta remember we DO have OD.I still get 23-24mpg on the hwy with my 4.10s @ 75-80 mph.

GTvert01 said:
I agree, it took me a while to drop down to 4.10s, but I regret not getting them earlier.I always went with 3.73s in my old 5.0s, because I thought that 4.10s were too low.Gotta remember we DO have OD.I still get 23-24mpg on the hwy with my 4.10s @ 75-80 mph.

THanks man...you are making me feel better. BTW, those are good times in your sig, are those on street tires or drag radials? If they are street tires you are pretty damn good :nice:

Fred

menasci said:
I've got 4.10's and LOVE freeway driving.
In fact, I like the difference on the freeway more than the difference on the street!
5th pulls great!
At first the engine reving at 2800+ at 80 bothered me.
Now I'm used to it.
No difference in gas milage!
I love the freeway now! 5th pulls really nice.
I can pass without downshifting, it's great!
The hi revs also keep me from speeding too much too. ;)

Well put. I feel the exact same way. 5th gear pulls well, but at the same time, the high revs. keep me at lower crusing speeds (70-75mph) which is a good thing. Just nice to know if you want to bump up to 80 or 85mph to pass someone, the power is there in 5th gear.

Hey guys,

Everyone seems to agree that 4.10s are the way to go, but I like to drive fast. I usually am cruising on average 80mph on the highway and even higher on long trips. So that being the case, I was thinking of going to 3.73s. Is that noticeable from stock? Worth the change? I love the torque feel of cruising the streets but I also love just plain hauling a$$ on the highway, so I figure 3.73s would be a good compromise.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated. Also an idea of what it costs would be helpful as well.

Thanks! :flag:

OC Stang said:
Hey guys,

Everyone seems to agree that 4.10s are the way to go, but I like to drive fast. I usually am cruising on average 80mph on the highway and even higher on long trips. So that being the case, I was thinking of going to 3.73s. Is that noticeable from stock? Worth the change? I love the torque feel of cruising the streets but I also love just plain hauling a$$ on the highway, so I figure 3.73s would be a good compromise.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated. Also an idea of what it costs would be helpful as well.

I felt the change with 3.73's and it was definately worth the money. Whoever says they didn't feel a difference has a very NUMB SOTP. My most noticable mod. You will have more fun in the city with 4.10's. But i still don't regret the change. I know my motor will last even with highway driving. On the other hand there are guys with 4.30's and over 100 thousand miles going to the track every weekend and haven't blown their motors..

OC Stang said:
Hey guys,

Is a couple hundred rpms going to make that big of a difference?:shrug: