4.10s in and whining!

Whine is not enough backlash-too tight. Had mine several years ago installed by a performance shop and mine were set with too much backlash (clunking). They werent interested in resolving the problem after I went back. So I purchased new gears, and took it to Ford. I then asked them (Ford) what was the issue, and they said they were installed with too much backlash, to which I requested them to make a note of it on my bill. I then took that bill to the performance shop, along with the receipt of a new 3:55 gear and they no longer had any excuses or BS and they quickly refunded my money. I also got them to give me money for the new 3:55 gears I had to buy because of the error as I was not about to reuse gears.

• Sponsors (?)

Were the gears FRPP A or M? The M gears are motive and tend to whine and A gears are better and are prone to less problems.

I had 4:10's installed by a local shop and they just weren't right from the get go. After 18 months of them getting worse and worse i went to a Ford dealer that was known for having a great gear guy. I found this out too late of course. I had him reinstall the stock 3:55's and they don't make a peep.

Have another qualified shop that has done gears for our cars and have them fixed. Go to your friend and take him for a ride, then show him the bill that the other shop charged. If he isn't interested in refunding you any money, he's not a friend that I would want to have.

The part number I ordered from American Muscle was M-4209-G410A, so I would assume they are of the A designation. Which leaves the installer with no excuses. The problem is that he is my friend's father, which puts my friend in a bad position because he wants this to be fixed, but his dad is a jerk and could care less. All he wants is to keep moving cars through his garage so he keeps making $$

Whine is not enough backlash-too tight. Had mine several years ago installed by a performance shop and mine were set with too much backlash (clunking). They werent interested in resolving the problem after I went back. So I purchased new gears, and took it to Ford. I then asked them (Ford) what was the issue, and they said they were installed with too much backlash, to which I requested them to make a note of it on my bill. I then took that bill to the performance shop, along with the receipt of a new 3:55 gear and they no longer had any excuses or BS and they quickly refunded my money. I also got them to give me money for the new 3:55 gears I had to buy because of the error as I was not about to reuse gears.

I'll assume that I'm going to be following a similar route. That's great advice though, and will certainly help me out :nice:

I also paid to have my 4.10s installed $498. ya i got ripped, mine howled the minute i left the shop, turned around took it back, the guy told me it was the spider gears makin the noise. the only way to fix it would be to replace them. i called B.S. then he tried to tell me it was because my t-lock was worn.

I got ripped off too - $462 for complete junk! And it's funny, he also tried telling me that the spider gears are the source of the problem, and that it is my fault for not buying all the parts for the rebuild. I bought every single part I could find for this installation and gave them to him, with the thought that he, being a reputable mechanic, would be able to close the gaps if I missed anything. I guess that would require him caring.

Alright guys, I finally got my car back from the shop after a full month of being jerked around. The rear end is much quieter now, not silent, but definitely 100X better than it was. Apparently the backlash was out a bit and there was a bad pinion bearing, which makes no sense because I provided a brand new one for the initial installation. At any rate, I'm much happier now!

Oh and in case anyone is worried about gas mileage - I just drove a straight 120mi on the highway between 65 and 75mph and got 26mpg. That is only a 2mpg drop from my 2.73s!!!

Just a note...I paid $390 to Ford to install my 3.73's and they never whined. They only lasted a year before somehow my rear end was completely out of fluid...not sure how that happened as there wasn't any leakage on the ground.

I've had my 4.10s for 3 years now & have had zero issues. Only time they made any noise was when I had a bad seal on the differential & ran low on fluid.

I know it's been said before, but I am going to say it again...

DON'T FEAR THE GEAR!

Just a note...I paid $390 to Ford to install my 3.73's and they never whined. They only lasted a year before somehow my rear end was completely out of fluid...not sure how that happened as there wasn't any leakage on the ground.

OMG...reminds me of when we took my wife's 01 GT into the dealership for some service work (I can't recall what it was they were doing) - they forgot to reconnect the fans and, guess what? Yep, it overheated... :notnice::bs:

Just when I thought it was over... the rear end sounds horrible when I take corners! Much worse than clutch chatter... binding, popping, moaning and groaning, this thing has it all. The good news is that I found a Ford dealership near by that has a Mustang guy working there. I spoke with him at length yesterday and he really knows his stuff, so I have an appointment to have the differential fixed on Thursday.

I will be sending the bill to the original installer because this is completely unfair to me. Does that sound like a reasonable course of action?

I have installed a 4.10 FRPP and a 4.56 Motive myself, and both run quietly.

The 4.10 seemed a bit noisey, so a year after installing, I shimmed it to reduce backlash, and it quieted right down.

So it can be done so they are not noisey at all.

Yes that sounds like a resonable course of action, better than attempted
murder. And thank you for convincing me to stay with my stock gears.

You really shouldn't fear changing gears. If done properly, they will not make any noise. Living in the Dallas area, you have a host of shops nearby that do Mustang specific work and could hook you up. Don't let some horror stories put you off...just trust the right folks, not any ol shade tree mechanic.

Just when I thought it was over... the rear end sounds horrible when I take corners! Much worse than clutch chatter... binding, popping, moaning and groaning, this thing has it all. The good news is that I found a Ford dealership near by that has a Mustang guy working there. I spoke with him at length yesterday and he really knows his stuff, so I have an appointment to have the differential fixed on Thursday.

I will be sending the bill to the original installer because this is completely unfair to me. Does that sound like a reasonable course of action?

Heck if you lived near me I would fix it for free just to help you of this situation. I dont understand the clunking around corners though unless the carrier bearings are shot.

That is very nice of you to say! I don't know what the problem is, I just know it makes my otherwise mint condition Stang sound like a clunker!!

I know what you mean. My Fox has a intermitant clutch chatter when the clutch is pressed in. I know it's probley the TOB but it works fine and I really dont feel like pulling the trans to replace it. :(