4.10's Installed (Finally)

Well, after having the gears sit in my closet for about 4 months, I got around to getting them installed. The installation went fairly smooth, I had the help of my buddy and a guy who has a lift. I got the gears installed in about 5 hours, man was the lift handy. Anyways, the guy who helped me wanted to hear the car go through the gears while it was free wheeling on the lift. Then, once I got the car to the ground and started it a second time and was ready to leave, my ABS light came on. I did not have to remove the ABS sensors to get the axles out, my drivers side C-clip was a piece of cake and the passenger side only required some slight persuading. After trying time and time again to get that C-clip out, I new I was going to have to knock the ABS sensor out as that's what was holding me up from sliding the axle in far enough. Well, I took a few swings at the axle hub with a rubber mallet and left a slight impression in the plastic, which was just enough to get the C-clip out. Anyways, it appeared that the sensor was fine, so I thought I got away without having to replace them.
Anyways, sorry if this post is confusing, but my question is: What is causing my ABS light to be on? My thoughts are 1 of 2 things. First, obviously the sensor might have gotten ruined while trying to get the axle out. However, when my buddy dyno'ed his car, his ABS light came on for a while after that also. While a dyno is by no means free wheeling, it obviously confused the ABS system (maybe because the front tires don't spin) and made his light come on. So that could be a possible issue also. Let me know if anyone else had a similar issue when doing a gear swap, and I hope the light may go off in a few days. For now though, I want to avoid buying one of those expensive sensor. Oh, and for any guys wondering, I love the gears, I spin in second now (impressive for an automatic)!

• Sponsors (?)

Ya they are a pain to install.

We broke one of the sensors when we did it, because with 160,000 miles on the car, it was not coming out easily. One the second one, we used a dremel and notched out the axle so it could come out past the sensor, you only need like 1/8th inch, this way it could be pulled out far enough to get the pin out. Some useful information if you ever have to do it and can't get the sensor out.

Enjoy!

BTW, i have 3:73's automatic, car still wont spin tires..hmm...darn :(

Thanks for the responses. Tonight I took off the rear rims and brakes to check if everything looked in order. When I took off the driver side brakes, a pad spring fell out at I believe it may not have been in correctly. However, I don't think that what was making the light come on. The really bad news is that I noticed I had some rear end oil on the brake dust shield, and on the inside of the rim on the driver's side. I replaced the seals, however something must have gone wrong whether it was damaged putting in the axle or not put in correctly. I am really sweating having to take the whole rear end apart again to replace that seal, so I cleaned everything for now and will check tomorrow if it leaks or not. This gear swap thing is really becoming a headache! However: Fun Factor > Headaches (so far).

Don't get too concerned about swapping the seals out. That will be nothing compared to the gear job. And if you only end up changing the one sensor, then you are getting off lucky. I buy two (still cheaper than an install though).

for the abs light I would say to discoonect the batttery to reset the abs ssytem then see if it still comes on. On my truck if I do a brake stand or any kind of decent burnout it comes on too. Don't know about the car though as my clutch is too weak to put it through that right now.

I will reset the computer tonight when I get home, hopefully that corrects things. I still am dreading taking this thing apart again, I noticed what looked like so more oil leaking today after I had cleaned it all last night. Oh well, that's the beauty of modding. Thanks for the help by the way everyone.