4.10s installed today...

jaybertx

Apr 18, 2003
Sarasota, FL
Wow, what a day. A buddy of mine that has done tons of gear installs (although not on Fords) did it with me and another friend. The one thing that was amazing to him was how freaking hard it was to get the pinion gear out. We hammered on it for almost 90 minutes and it didn't budge. Finally we ended up taking the entire rear end out and smacking it with a sledge hammer a few times to finally free it up. I looked online but didn't find anyone else really having this problem. The instructions all said something like "push the gear in, remove the flange and a few more whacks will free it up" HA! Anyway, it took us a combined 2.5 hours to figure out how to get the stupid gear out and 60 minutes to set the gears up and reinstall the rear end! :) At the end of the day, everything was silk and quiet as can be...

Lotsa work but WOW :eek: ! Very, very happy with them now that they're in there. Like most have said before me, best mod I've ever done!

• Sponsors (?)

Yea we had a HECK of a time getting the pinion gear out...my dad hammered on it for 15-20 mins and nothing, I sugested getting a sledge but he didnt think it would fit under the car and decided to go buy a 3-4 pound hammer the next day...SO while he was out working I decided to go and atleast try and do my part and happered with the little one for about 5 mins (nope) then found the sledge and got it under the car and started POUNDING it, after about 15mins it came out. And whats bad is it just doesnt POP out like one blow will free it...NO it just slowly moves and slowly gets easier to beat out...so i feel your pain LOL.

hotmustang331 said:
Yea we had a HECK of a time getting the pinion gear out...my dad hammered on it for 15-20 mins and nothing, I sugested getting a sledge but he didnt think it would fit under the car and decided to go buy a 3-4 pound hammer the next day...SO while he was out working I decided to go and atleast try and do my part and happered with the little one for about 5 mins (nope) then found the sledge and got it under the car and started POUNDING it, after about 15mins it came out. And whats bad is it just doesnt POP out like one blow will free it...NO it just slowly moves and slowly gets easier to beat out...so i feel your pain LOL.
LOL im definetely gonna be paying a shop to install my gears for me :nice: