4.10's or 4.30's... Need some help, which is best for me?

edbo said:
Dude, the 4.10's will do you right. I had them and went to 3.73's (I started with 2.73s) but that's just me and future power adders I have plans for. I thought I had gone a little much on the 4.10s so 4.30s and up would have been sick. It was all I could do to stay hooked up with the 4.10s in 1st and 2nd, the 3.73s keep me hooked up pretty well. If you ever drive in rain, you will really have to baby it a lot with the 4.10+ gears, I feel like the 3.73s are perfect all around gears (rain, town, highway, strip) although the 4.10s are a little more fun at the strip and around town.

The car never sees rain now :D

• Sponsors (?)

edbo said:
Dude, the 4.10's will do you right. I had them and went to 3.73's (I started with 2.73s) but that's just me and future power adders I have plans for. I thought I had gone a little much on the 4.10s so 4.30s and up would have been sick. It was all I could do to stay hooked up with the 4.10s in 1st and 2nd, the 3.73s keep me hooked up pretty well. If you ever drive in rain, you will really have to baby it a lot with the 4.10+ gears, I feel like the 3.73s are perfect all around gears (rain, town, highway, strip) although the 4.10s are a little more fun at the strip and around town.

JACKIE! Get back in here...don't want to lose him...

scalder said:
JACKIE! Get back in here...don't want to lose him...

You havent lost me... actually, i'm leaning more towards the 4.30's now.. I've read a few threads where people were actually upset that after they got the 4.10s in they felt they should've went for 4.30's. I think with the extra weight of the vert, and the mods i have in the future, plus staying naturally aspirated, little highway driving, etc... that these are the right gears..

You had both 4.10's and now 4.30's right? How much of a difference was there between the two?

Difficult to tell you exactly how much of a difference. I haven't made it back to the Motorplex to find out. My SOTP meter tells me it's a touch quicker (talking about pre cam install here). I wouldn't go back if that helps.
Mine is also a daily driver and I have no problems cruising 75 mph on the hwy so don't let that be a concern either.
You will be shifting a bunch that's for sure...

BigChiefSmokem said:
The car never sees rain now :D

That is good as mine is a daily driver but in your case, I can see why you'd be considering 4.30s. 4.10s are pretty popular, if I were you, I'd at least try to locate a 'Stang club down near where you're located and see if anyone in the club has them installed and see if they'll let you test it just for seat of the pants and checking out the RPMs being run through the gears. 4.30s aren't nearly as popular, but there should not be hardly much difference in the two choices as they are really close. If I had it all to do again, I would go with 3.90s but that's just me and as you can tell, wanting more! Good luck on the decision making!

:Track:

BigChiefSmokem said:
Oh, sorry 4u2nv... I have not considered 4.56, and i think even for me that they would be way too steep. I've heard in the quarter that i'll be shifting into 5th with 4.56 before i trap. with the 4.30's i should be redlining it right?

:doh:
For some reason, I was thinking you were an Auto (didn't read sig carefully enough). My bad. Yes, 5th would be a grab you'd have to make; not a fun one at that.

4.10s should trap you near the redline, yes.

If you were an auto, I would definitely do 4.56s.

With 4.10s, you'll have a little more gear to work with going into the traps, with 4.30s, you risk having another change in front of you. I think most people seem to be trapping top of 3rd with 4.10s in the 1/4 at around 100-110MPH (Correct me if I'm wrong). With 4.30s you might be having to nail one more shift (4th gear) right before or as you trap. You might launch a touch quicker, but if you're shifting that extra gear at the end, then you'll end up losing that quicker launch time through the run.

I have 4.30's, and I love them. My car see's around 7500miles per year, and I have no real complaints. Bill Putnam, Automatic Weapon, KenB, and Starkie all had 4.30 gears in their n/a 4.6ltr GT's at some point in time, and had no complaints about them either. I believe Bill still managed to pull about 23mpg on the open highway with 4.30 gears. Hope this helps with making your choice, and good luck.

P.S. Be sure to get someone who knows how to install gears, and I recommend a nice Ford gear, like either OEM Ford gears or FRPP gears. I use OEM Ford gears, and my brother uses FRPP gears. They're a sure fit everytime. No whinning, shuddering or anything other problems. I've heard good things about Motive gear, but no personal experience to go by. Also, don't forget friction modifier when filling up the differential case with differential fluid, as this is important to keep the rear differential from locking up.

Dark Knight GT said:
I have 4.30's, and I love them. My car see's around 7500miles per year, and I have no real complaints. Bill Putnam, Automatic Weapon, KenB, and Starkie all had 4.30 gears in their n/a 4.6ltr GT's at some point in time, and had no complaints about them either. I believe Bill still managed to pull about 23mpg on the open highway with 4.30 gears. Hope this helps with making your choice, and good luck.

P.S. Be sure to get someone who knows how to install gears, and I recommend a nice Ford gear, like either OEM Ford gears or FRPP gears. I use OEM Ford gears, and my brother uses FRPP gears. They're a sure fit everytime. No whinning, shuddering or anything other problems. I've heard good things about Motive gear, but no personal experience to go by. Also, don't forget friction modifier when filling up the differential case with differential fluid, as this is important to keep the rear differential from locking up.

Okay i think i'm going to go with FRPP 4.30 gear... because, well i want to be different than everyone else and have some cojones, and i'm going with royal purple gear fluid..

ONe more question.. I've read a lot about gears being beneficial to acelleration not only because they multiply torque, but because they also put the engine in the HP/torque rpm range faster in all gears...

Will 4.30's overshoot the Correct rpm ranges for optimal HP and torque over the 4.10's?? or do i have my facts all retarded?

BigChiefSmokem said:
Okay i think i'm going to go with FRPP 4.30 gear... because, well i want to be different than everyone else and have some cojones, and i'm going with royal purple gear fluid..

ONe more question.. I've read a lot about gears being beneficial to acelleration not only because they multiply torque, but because they also put the engine in the HP/torque rpm range faster in all gears...

Will 4.30's overshoot the Correct rpm ranges for optimal HP and torque over the 4.10's?? or do i have my facts all retarded?

Can anyone answer this?

BigChiefSmokem said:

Yes, the gears will put you into your power range faster, as they shorted the time it takes to wind out each gear.

As for them overshooting the optimal ranges for best hp and torque output, the answer is no. Gears have no effect on how much power the motor produces, or how much of it reaches the rear wheel. They can cause dyno readings to differ if the dyno machine is not programmed to compensate for different gear ratios though.

I'm sure you've heard some people say, "Gears shorten your top end". What they're reffering to is potential top speed, and not power production. With any steeper gear change, you're going to wind through the rpms quicker, and thus, you're going to loose some top speed in each gear, however, the gears of most drivetrains in the Modular Mustangs are very broad to begin with. If you don't have an aftermarket shifter, you might want to get one with the gears so you can better enjoy the more frequent shifting.