4.30 gear swap complete

Grn92LX

Fidanza Man!
Founding Member
Jan 14, 2001
New York
First off I gotta thank my buddy Sam (Ninjacoupe/Pony772 on the boards) He helped me out BIG time!

The install went fairly smooth except for a few snags along the way, but we all know it NEVER goes 100% right. We built the rear outside the car and then put it back in. I went with the 03 cobra 31 spline differential, FRPP 4.30 gears, moser 31 spline axles and all new bearings, races, shims and seals with Amsoil synthetic gear oil. I got it up and running on Thursday and all was well except for a slight hum on decel. We tightened up the pinion nut and that cured that problem.

As for the overall feel and streetablity, driving around town normally isn't much different than the 3.73. It definatly rev's much quicker when you get on it :nice: I took it on the highway last night and it was fine, didn't rev too much higher than my 3.73.

The gears should give me another 3-5mph and let me use that last 1000 rpm's of powerband the 3.73's weren't letting me use.

• Sponsors (?)

be very careful with those gears especially in the rain its very easy to loose control a friend of mine has the same gears has done a few donuts in the rain and has also lost control on dry pavement playing around...

Nice choice Mike. My dad runs 4.30's in his '91GT and its a great gear for him and his combo. He's trapping 117mph now with 26's and is crossing around 6200-6300 if memory serves me right. I may be wrong though as its been a while since he's raced.

yellow1995Cobra said:
so when u getting this biitch to the track?

Eventually :p

I still need to set the pinion angle and bolt on my 3" X pipe. I need to get a 3" ball/socket joint that adapts to a 2.5" pipe so I can bolt it on. I need a real tire now. A 245 nitto dr doesn't cut it anymore.

Zero Signal said:
So what are you doing with the old gear. snap snap, girin grin, nudge nudge wink wink, say no more :D

I junked everything at the scrap yard this afternoon. I had way too much junk piling up here and my dad wanted it out of here.

I wouldn't sell my old gears anyway. The rear made noise so I wouldn't wanna risk selling a bad/worn set of gears. Gears are cheap anyway. I would NEVER buy/use used gears.