4.6 door lock problem?????

4.6runner

Mar 25, 2007
i have a 96 gt and the power locks will not work. i have checked the voltage and the only thing i have found is there is no voltage for the lock on the passenger side. however, it will occasionally unlock. I cannot figure out if it is the relay or the actuators or a broken wire. any help???!!!

• Sponsors (?)

4.6runner:

Welcome to StangNet!

I am not much of an electrical wizard but the problem could be the wire harness that goes from the body (fender) to the door, the actuator, or the wire in the door to the actuator. If you move the wires around in the rubber accordian boot and the actuator works more reliably, then you know that the problem is in that part of the harness. Next, you have to check the actuator. If it hasn't been lubed for a long time, it might be sticky. More likely, it is starting to fail (hot weather makes things worse, right?). You'll have to pull of the trim panel (carefully) to get access to the actuator. You can use a small mirror and a strong light to look at the actuator and the connector. Pull of the connector and check voltage at the actuator. Lubricate all of the pivot points in the locking system. If that helps, that's probably all you need to do. If none of these things do the trick, it is most likely the actuator. The actuator is held in place with a rivet that you'll have to drill out (carefully) if you need a new actuator. You need to hold the new one in place with a rivet, too, so have a quality rivet gun handy.

HTH,

Chris

thanks chris, i guess ill start by lubing the actuators, all the wires from body to door look fine, but you never know. I was thinking of getting a livernois shortblock and some t.e.i. ported heads and the new trick flow intake, were you happy with your parts from livernois? ive heard they are the best.

4.6runner:

I like the PI intake kit (it was a little pricey but at least they did their homework and looked after those of us with 96-98's! They do good work and so does VT Engines, Boss330 Racing (Al Papito), Fox Lake, and Steen Racing, imo. UPS or FedEx makes having to find a shop close by a little less of a necessity. You'll be spending some money so shop around and call each place and find out what you're getting and what some of their 4.6 L modular builds have done. A little homework up front will pay big dividends later.

Chris