4 cyl conversion problem!! need help!!

justin4282000

Jun 29, 2006
ok first off i am well into this project but just ran into a snag even tho i thought i did enuf reading....
i bought a 92 lx convert to put my rusted out 88 drivetrain into, i read that the k-member didn't need to be changed but since i put the motor in and now the trans.....well the trans shifter boss(i call it ) is rammed up againt the console when i checked it. it also seems that the trans is way too high in the car.
i was just told that the k-member must be changed to work and that that will put the trans further back thus clearing the console.???? i have the v-8 trans mount ,crossmember ...everything!! i do know the 5speed 1988 floor is shaped different but the trans should still be clear of the console.
so my question is this....is the k-member the same??? how far up in the car should the trans be- meaning should the four boltcover be flush with the floor pan???lower or higher?
thanks in advance...richierich

• Sponsors (?)

ok well i just did a 4 to 8 swap and the trans tunnel needs to be trimed a lil bit, its no big deal just take a pair of tin snips or somthing like taht and just take the clearence u need somepeople just bend it up out of the way allso it just doesnt look good this way.

justin4282000 said:
ok first off i am well into this project but just ran into a snag even tho i thought i did enuf reading....
i bought a 92 lx convert to put my rusted out 88 drivetrain into, i read that the k-member didn't need to be changed but since i put the motor in and now the trans.....well the trans shifter boss(i call it ) is rammed up againt the console when i checked it. it also seems that the trans is way too high in the car.
i was just told that the k-member must be changed to work and that that will put the trans further back thus clearing the console.???? i have the v-8 trans mount ,crossmember ...everything!! i do know the 5speed 1988 floor is shaped different but the trans should still be clear of the console.
so my question is this....is the k-member the same??? how far up in the car should the trans be- meaning should the four boltcover be flush with the floor pan???lower or higher?
thanks in advance...richierich

I could be wrong on this (and someone chime in if I am) but was your 88' a drop top too? If not you will need to get V8 motor mounts for a convertible. I also think that the 4cyl trans x-members are diffrent in that how the exhuast is ran.

thanks for reply, both cars are convertibles, trimmed the floor also.....
i am also using the v-8 crossmember. but the shifter boss is jammed against the console and the snap in boot plate wont even go on!!! is is supposed to be centered in the console??? i have had these cars before but cant recall.