4 cyl trans pilot bearing

• Sponsors (?)

4cyl tranny + V8 = bad idea. Trust me on this one. The input shaft is longer and smaller in diameter than that of the v8 tranny. I had to replace my crank as a result of this. Someone told me they make a different input shaft to replace but still the gears are all soooooo short that if this is your daily driver i wouldnt do it. Just my opinion.

You need a bearing with the number 202 on it, I got a Federal Mogule 202FF or something like that. The input shaft isn't longer (I had about 1/2 to 3/4" of space before the inputshaft bottoms out on the crank - I checked since I was told the same thing) but a little smaller since the 4 banger crank is probably smaller than the V8. I got a 2.3 T5 from a 91 Mustang, it's an old worn out tranny with 240,000kms and I didn't kill it yet. The trick I guess is to not go crazy with the clutch and get a basic one.

darthcual said:
Not to start an arguement but i had a v8 and 4 cyl tranny side by side and the shaft is longer i know this from personal experience not just what someone told me.

not to argue with you but i have both sitting on the floor in my garage and they are the exact same lengh just the 4 cyl has a smaller pilot shaft no big deal the only thing is you will have to make a cluch alignment tool to match the v8 clutch and the 4 cyl trans

I second fed up they are the exact same length, the diameter is the difference, as stated before the 4cyl is smaller because the crank is smaller. I dont remember the bearing number, but i know numerous people including my self running 4-cyl trannies with v-8 cars. I have had mine for 3 years now with no problems.

my mind's a little foggy, but...

I think the bearing is the same one as went behind a chevy 327? Wish I could remember for sure. An old timer mentioned it to me, but I later ditched the 4cyl t-5 when a buddy sold me his v8 t5z for cheap. and the rest is history.

I'm currently running a 4 cyl tranny while rebuilding V8... went to autozone and they looked up part number for V8 for outer diameter...looked up PN for 4 cyl for inner diameter and cross referenced...ended up being an mazda pilot bearing(go figure)...I'll get the PN tonight...

Did some more research and now I know what the difference is and you were right the input shaft is the same length. But i found out something else and this could explain why I thought what i thought. The tob retainer has two different lengths. I think this is what i saw when the trannys were side by side. This was confirmed by the ford speed shop near my house. Can anyone else confirm this?

I run a 4-banger till I can get the time to put my viper spec T56 in. However the 4 cylinder is longer, 7.41" and the V-8 is 7.18". I have not had a problem with the extra .230" you should just be aware that it is longer.

stangman8825 said:
... an mazda pilot bearing(go figure)...I'll get the PN tonight...

That shouldn't be too suprising since if you look high enough up the chain Ford and Mazda are pretty much the same company. The Mazda 6 and the 05 Mustang are produced in the same building. They can even share assembly lines. If I remember right Ford didn't develop the 2.3L, they shopped that out to a Japanese company. Don't remember specifically which company, but Mazda sure would make sense.

As for the different length shafts, what are these longer input shaft trannies out of? Are they from a Mustang? I'll have to compare my 302 and 2.3 trannies before putting my motor back together.

A friend of mine had a 4cyl. tranny behind his 302. After about a year of him beating the crap out of it I bought it for use as a school project. When I pulled it apart I was amazed at how well it had held up to the 302 abuse.

vristang said:
That shouldn't be too suprising since if you look high enough up the chain Ford and Mazda are pretty much the same company. QUOTE]

Yeah that was why I said go figure...I'm still looking for the package the my pilot bearing came in...garage is a little cluttered. But I've done my fair share of abusing for about a year now including some hard launches and the only thing that's happened is my 4th syn. is starting to go out... other than that it's held up good

vristang said:
As for the different length shafts, what are these longer input shaft trannies out of? Are they from a Mustang? I'll have to compare my 302 and 2.3 trannies before putting my motor back together.

A friend of mine had a 4cyl. tranny behind his 302. After about a year of him beating the crap out of it I bought it for use as a school project. When I pulled it apart I was amazed at how well it had held up to the 302 abuse.
Yes these are mustang trannies here's the link...
http://www.ddperformance.com/Trans ID chart.htm
I also have given my 4 cylinder tranny a beating with no problems :shrug: .

stangman8825 said:
... But I've done my fair share of abusing for about a year now including some hard launches and the only thing that's happened is my 4th syn. is starting to go out... other than that it's held up good
This is what I though with my original T5. Turns out that my "failing synchro" was actually the bearing betwen the input and output shaft failing. The increased "slop" between them made 4th grind a little untill the bearing eventually falied resulting in the input shaft moving away from the cluster gear shaft destroying the gears on both :notnice: . Be weary of forth gear grinds.

There's a 60lb-ft of torque rating difference between the two... I got a 2.3 T5 because I couldn't afford a V8 T5 at the time lol... now I'm just hoping it will hold together until I can afford something better than a stock T5 from a V8. I could use a lower 5th gear though... freaking highways kill my MPG lol