40 Series Mufflers hurt Virginian ears...

smitty_64

May 27, 2006
All,

Within the last three days, my daughter-in-law has been pulled over 3 times for her glasspack on a POS Acura. The police tell her that the muffler cannot be any louder than stock in VA or it is deemed defective. My beast is twice as loud as her rice-burner. So here is the deal...I have two 40 series Flowmasters that were just installed that I would like to swap with someone for something quieter. It's just a matter of time til they get me since they have gotten her so many times already. Luckily most of my driving is on the interstate during rush hour. They're more busy with the real law breakers during those times.

Let me know if anyone is interested, and yes I would like to swap for something with a comparable cfm.

Greg

• Sponsors (?)

Ive had no mufflers or cats for a while and have nevewr been pulled over. And Ive been around plenty of cops. Just babying it when starting off it is loud as hell. And when a cop is on the side of me he never even notices, even when they have their window down.

But then again everyone and their mamma has straight pipes where I live.

215what said:
It's a mustang you should be fine. Where i live there's an exhaust law I have no cat's the cop's don't say anthing (knock on wood) It's 4banger's that get messed with.

Yeah, in my town they go after the ricer's, mines twice as loud as the ricers and they are always gettin pulled over, I havent goten pulled over for mine yet (hopefully I dont jinx it). and hteres a guy with single chamber flows thats twice as loud as me and he hast goten pulled over for his exhuast ethier. im in Va also

You may be right tjh566. I was in front of a State Trooper yesterday and she paid me no mind. It is loud though. Almost ashamed to start it up in the morning (JK) for fear of waking up my neighbors.

Virginia has always been ruff on exhaust.....My dad back in the 70's had a 66 galaxie with duals and glass packs and he was pulled over and ticketed.....but I had a 80 Ford truck with headers and straight pipe....and never got pulled over....go figure..

I also have a loud exhaust your typical off road h-pipe and 40 series mufflers but i have a 351w. It is much louder then the 302. I was pulled over by a police man for a seat belt infraction. He commented that he likes the sound of my car but to remember that because it sounds the way it does it draws attention so obey the speed limit and buckle up.

smitty_64 said:
drakesdad, I haven't even been through Emporia with it yet...Can you imagine?! LOL
If you do go through there....don't admit to knowing me......I wasn't the most well liked teenager........lol....but you can visit Hermie and Elliott Sadler.....lol........It was a Trooper that got my dad.......

smitty_64 said:
Almost ashamed to start it up in the morning (JK) for fear of waking up my neighbors.
i know that feeling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its not that i'm ashamed but i sort of feel bad, my one neighbor has a 3 month old, a bunch of the other neighbors have been here a long time, as long as we have, and for some odd reason i feel bad even having my car run for a minute, not to mention i dont think my parents feel like hearing it either.

This time last year when I was still living at home and daily driving my stang, I was leaving the house at 5:30 some mornings. Fortunately the car was in the garage so that helped during the start up, but my parents did get at least two phone calls that I know about from neighbors.

the 50 series mufflers have the same sound but are quieter. i had those first then switched them out for 40s after a while. most people couldn't really tell i had exhaust on the car unless i got into it

If you like the sound of your car, i wouldnt change it until you do get bagged by the cops...IF you ever get bagged by the cops. i have personally ran an o/r h with mac flowpaths for two full years up here in mass where they are real tough on driving infractions since this town is dead quiet at night and have gotten one ticket for it which i fought and beat. ( it was my fault when i accidentally let it hit 5k in the rain and didnt see the statey cop almost next to me... my music was kinda loud to hear it rev that high) ANYWAYS the cop was on a rampage and probably would have pulled me over regardless because of the 5 cars he pulled over after me... most cops like the car and look the other way. oh by the way if you read the chart somewhere here on stangnet you will see that MAC's are only 2 Db's short of open header noise at WOT... you'll be fine

im in Richmond and have got 1 ticket for exhaust (bout a year ago) since ive had the car (6 years). the car has long tubes, off-road h-pipe, and 40 series flows. if ya like your exhaust set-up you have now, i'd leave it alone 'til they start messin' w/ you too.

I loved the Richmond race this year BTW. What a frickin party!!! It's funny, I think a lot of the comments above are correct. They don't screw with a Mustang that sounds loud because they're supposed to. The rice-burners are easy to tell whether they've been modified. I think I'll leave until they tell me otherwise.