408w Windage Tray Question

sharp2377

May 22, 2012
I just recently got my 408w back from the machine shop and when I had him align the mains and I wasnt thinking of a windage tray. I gave him ARP main studs #154-5409 and obviously if i switched studs then it would need to be aligned again. My builder told me a windage tray is good but at this point not to worry about it since its not a track only car. Is there a way I could put a windage tray on the studs I have in there now? I was thinking that there is enough threads after the nuts to bolt them down with a nut over top of the main stud nut. Is this possible or at this point just forget it?? Im also using a Moroso 20520 7 qt oil pan.

• Sponsors (?)

The reason that it's on my mind is because I just helped a friend build his 4.6 in his 98 cobra and it came factory with a windage tray. I know they are two differentmotors but it really got me thinking on why they are used. Obviously I'm dropping a nice coin on this 408 and I don't want to look back and say dam, i should have done that. Maybe I'm just looking into it too much and it's not even necessary.

The reason that it's on my mind is because I just helped a friend build his 4.6 in his 98 cobra and it came factory with a windage tray. I know they are two differentmotors but it really got me thinking on why they are used. Obviously I'm dropping a nice coin on this 408 and I don't want to look back and say dam, i should have done that. Maybe I'm just looking into it too much and it's not even necessary.

Obviously a windage tray prevents the crank counterweights
from dipping into the oil and injecting air into it. Air in the oil
is not a good thing. Oil level in the pan in relation to the crank
might dictate the need of the tray. Most stroked engines
would benefit from a windage tray .Some performance oil
pans have a built in windage trays