$4500 for mods

fir0070

Aug 18, 2004
Senoia, GA
I have about 4500 dollars to put into some new mods. I would like to stay n/a but is 4500 enough money to get the same net hp that a supercharger would get for me. If I stay n/a what would be the way to go? I have the some other minor stuff not listed on my mods such as pullies, 3.73 gears.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the replies. Looks like the general consensus is for the supercharger. I have done alot of research on the supercharger and if that is the route I go(pretty good chance at this point) I was looking real hard at the KB or the Saleen(Whipple). I have heard all good things for the most part about the KB but not a whole lot on the Whipple. Any comment on the Whipple?

One Wicked SVT said:
am i the only one who would say TURBO?

may be a lillll more costly... but damn its fun..
No, I agree that a turbo would be ideal. However, kits that are out there are pricey. You're looking at about 7kish for the kit, and then a little more for install. And make sure you get a good tune. I know Modular Powerhouse has tuned some awesome turbo cars, so check there first.

Spreadman said:
No, I agree that a turbo would be ideal. However, kits that are out there are pricey. You're looking at about 7kish for the kit, and then a little more for install. And make sure you get a good tune. I know Modular Powerhouse has tuned some awesome turbo cars, so check there first.

MPH has their mongoose turbo kit installed and tuned for $7210, but the wait to get a complete kit from HP takes a long time from what I read like 4-6 months after you order.

The KB also has a bit of a long wait a month or so.

The KB is a great blower but the Novi 2000 or Vortech T-Trim are a better value if you plan on upgrading to more boost later on without buying a new blower. They are easily good to 25psi where the KB 1.7 is not.

If you are doing street driving and want the low end umph get the KB is you want a street/strip car with room to grow later get the centri.

Well, your looking at about $5500 for the KB for about 390-400RWHP..or the mongoose kit with the novi 2000 for about 3700 (like stated above) and pull at least 350RWHP and easily as high as 375...If you take it to Tim at MPH, he could probably get that non intercooled novi to push just as much power as the intercooled KB....and on the KB, I hear of people blowing their engines all the time with them, probably due to the fact that at almost anytime you hit it its making 9PSI (or whatever you have it pullied for) until you let off the gas...the novi makes peak boost at whatever the highest RPM you shift at...as in the higher you shift, the more boost it will make(different pullies will increase or decrease boost at any given RPM) ...but with a stock block I wouldnt go over 5500RPMs just to be safe.JMO BTW.

hotmustang331 said:
Well, your looking at about $5500 for the KB for about 390-400RWHP..or the mongoose kit with the novi 2000 for about 3700 (like stated above) and pull at least 350RWHP and easily as high as 375...If you take it to Tim at MPH, he could probably get that non intercooled novi to push just as much power as the intercooled KB....and on the KB, I hear of people blowing their engines all the time with them, probably due to the fact that at almost anytime you hit it its making 9PSI (or whatever you have it pullied for) until you let off the gas...the novi makes peak boost at whatever the highest RPM you shift at...as in the higher you shift, the more boost it will make(different pullies will increase or decrease boost at any given RPM) ...but with a stock block I wouldnt go over 5500RPMs just to be safe.JMO BTW.

Well the peak outputs of the KB and a Centri are close, but the KB has a better powerband. If you have the $$ and are fine with 400whp then the KB would be my choice but a centri is cheaper and has more potential if you build the engine later on without having to buy another blower.

Also I have only read a few guys with KB blowing engines, but you are running on the ragged edge to it is imporant to be careful how you treat a 9 PSI KB car on the stock block.

try checking out a procharger, like the P1SC.. it's a smaller centri. supercharger, but i think that it seems to do better than vortech and the other centri's.. go to www.procharger.com and check it out, the 2nd kit for the GT's is probably the way to go, 10-12 psi and guaranteed 60-80% power gains w/93 octane gas.. so that's 416 hp w/just 10 psi on a stock gt..