460 Ford Crate Engine

Robert Campbell

Active User
Aug 28, 2016
I sold my Weber Carbed HIPO 289 to go less exotic and bigger. I am getting ready to land a 460 Ford Crate motor based on the new Boss 351 Windsor block. Just finished the Borgeson power steering upgrade. Going to abuse my fresh 2.78 Toploader and 4.11 9 inch rear end. Maier Racing 4 point sub frame connectors after I get it running.

I aligned the bell housing with offset dowel pins and am ready to land it in the next couple days. Fell in love with industrial look yellow cad bolts! I like the plain tough look. I bleed Ford blue and can't wait to burn up some new Hellcats and other bloated muscle cars they build these days. This car weighs nearly 1,500 pounds less than the battleships they build today!!

Rob

Before:

DSCN3338.jpg

Soon. 850 double pumper in the background:

DSCN7244.jpg

DSCN7245.jpg

DSCN7246.jpg

The car. Old school flares and on the deck. 3 inch exhaust to the mufflers, 2.5 over the axel:

Blackmstgdriveway.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

bad ass buddy bad ass

shem
The pulley, alternator, and power steering pump spacing took some money and finesse. Stan Johnson at Ford Powertrain Applications is a wealth of information on what is out there on these new crate engines Machinist is spinning new spacers for the PS pump this week. Pulleys are Ford Racing, brackets are CVF Racing, and a .909 crank spacer was sourced from Ford Racing also. These crate motors look the same on the front, but there are subtle differences.

Headers are still a week away. These headers are the first of their kind to fit a high port Ford "Z" head on a 9.5 deck into a vintage Mustang. Anyone attempting this conversion is welcome to ask me questions on what I ran into. Here is a link to Stan Johnson's website. He specializes in headers for Ford applications. They are top dollar quality and tuck up high under the car to provide max ground clearance. Check out his site!

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/headers2.htm

DSCN7333.jpg

DSCN7334.jpg

DSCN7335.jpg

On the subject of headers for vintage Mustangs, take a gander at Stan Johnsons new headers for a Coyote swap into a vintage Mustang! 1 3/4" into 1 7/8" 3" V-Band collectors for 65-73 Mustang/ 60-70 Falcon and 62-70 Fairlane with Rod and Custom Front suspension and others. They will be available 12/01/16 for those guys who have deep pockets and highly modified Fords!!

coyote4%20002.jpg

coyote2%20002.jpg

coyote1%20002.jpg [/QUOTE]

Radiator and fan installed. Fun stuff with the lower radiator hose, but got through it. Left side exit water pump on these crate motors. Found a 1970 351/302 Windsor hose that worked.

This engine conversion provides me a simple engine. No electric fans, no power adders, no sensors, no computers, and a single four barrel to tune after my days of 48 IDA Weber fun! Simple and brutal, naturally aspirated for now! Only comfort is power brakes and power steering.

Headers and power steering pump spacers next week. That and a driveline will complete the package! Other than spark plugs and wires.

Rob

DSCN7362.jpg

DSCN7361.jpg

Check out these beauties! 1 and 5/8 to 1 3/4 diameter step headers from Ford Powertrain Applications for the Ford "Z" high port heads, Boss 351 based 460 CI. crate motor. Max ground clearance and a prototype for my 1967 Mustang. Where else can you find a supplier that is willing to build specific headers for the new configurations of these new motors for vintage Mustangs? Highest quality and best fit! Stan Johnson is a niche builder of vintage Ford headers. Check out his site and get quality stuff for your specific build. These headers are for my application, but they will fit many others. Stan bleeds Ford blue and don't ask him for other brands. He has his hands full keeping us Ford owners happy! There are very few custom builders these days, and he has a full line of proven applications for many Ford engine swaps and applications. This header should show up soon on his site for others to use. I will post pictures of them installed soon. I get nothing from promoting this good friend of mine other than the satisfaction of hooking up other Ford owners to the best in header design for their vintage Ford.
Rob

DSCN7367.jpg

DSCN7369.jpg

blackmstgdriveway-jpg.568297.jpg

Very Nice. :nice:

The topping on the cake! Ford Racing dropped based air cleaner on the beast. It has a slant edge look like the valve covers. Small cut out on the edges in the hood under the scoop, to go around it. Again, this is one tall motor combination.

I think it looks bitchin!!! Boss 9 scoop will cover it all up. Need to install the plastic trim ring around the large hole in the hood

Rob

DSCN7417.jpg

DSCN7418.jpg

DSCN7419.jpg

DSCN7407.jpg

Reactions: 1 users