4cyl to 4cyl swap?

guehner91lx

Oct 4, 2006
I have a 91 lx hatchback, and the headgasket was blown when I bought it. I exhausted my options of a 5.0 swap and decided if I wanted a 5.0 I will buy one. Anyhow, if am replacing the engine with another 2.3L and was wondering if pulling the old motor and putting in the new one would be easy or not, and any tips I might need. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I was told that with replacing the head gasket and maybe having to resurface the head, it would be cheaper to install a new engine. I picked the new one up for $250 with 100k on it.

how much are you looking to spend for a new engine?
you anywhere NW florida? I got a lead on a turbo engine for 150, it needs a new downpipe though

guehner91lx said:
I was told that with replacing the head gasket and maybe having to resurface the head, it would be cheaper to install a new engine. I picked the new one up for $250 with 100k on it.

whoever told you that is on something. it is much cheaper and easier, best combo, to just replace the headgasket and you shouldnt have to worry about plaining the head unless you let it get hot and it warped or something.

See that was the problem, I didnt know how the head was if it got hot or not, I did know that the kid drove the car while it smoked, but didnt want to take the time to pull it apart and find out, So, I just bought a new one. picking it up tommorrow and putting it in within this week.

With a spare engine handy, it would be quickest to pull the head off the second engine, inspect, do the valves, etc, as needed or if needed, and then swap it on the engine in the car.

However, if you say the engine in the car smoked, it may not be a bad shot to just swap.

You do need to check both engines carefully, as there are some stuff that differs from year to year...

Quick disconnect? Hell, it's easier to disconnect the lines down at the frame, where the rubber line attaches to the hardline. One line uses a clip much like the ones on the fuel filter, the other one uses some kind of spring lock clip that you can undo with a screwdriver and/or pliers...can't remember exactly how I did it.