4R70W Problems after J-mod: Need Help!!

KXT

Founding Member
Nov 17, 2001
Reidsville, NC
Just performed the J-mod on my auto and now i'm having a problem. When I put the car in forward or reverse I hafta bring the RPMs up to 1500 for the car to start moving. At idle in gear nothing happens, from 900-1500 I get a shudder. The 1-2, 2-3,3-4 shifts are fine.

• Sponsors (?)

update:
When decelerating in 1st gear down to 1500 RPMs the transmission shifts out of 1st into 2nd. That may be causeing the shudder on takeoff, instead of going into 1st at a stop its still in second gear.

Still needing some advice guys I stumped on what to do!

Did you inspect the 1-2 accumulator and housing for damage? The earlier 4R70W's had a problem with the accumulators wearing a ridge in its housing and causing shift problems. Ford fixed it by redesigning the piece out of hard rubber instead of aluminum.

Fluid isn't getting where it needs to or the accumulators are damaged.. Are you sure you filled the trans back with enough ATF?

What holes did you change and what did you change them to, also what springs did you remove?

2003 mustang 4R70W
8,500 miles

Removed bottom line from radiator and pumped a few quarts in a pan.

Removed the trans pan, and filter

Removed the 4 plactic electrical connecters from main control

Removed main control

Removed seperator gaskets and plate

Drilled holes in seperator plate to J-mod spec MILD

installed seperator plate w/ new gaskets

removed lower spring from 1-2 acc.
removed upper and lower spring from 2-3 acc

reinstalled main control [90in/lbs in order]

cliped electrical conector on, and filter

replaced pan

added a B&M trans cooler: lower trans line goes into radiator then upper line goes to cooler, cooler then is connected to upper trans line. Leaks a little but i can remedy that.

Filled with mercon V fluid, checked fluid at least 20 times as transmission was heating up.

Decided to let a little out in case of an overfill, disconnected the trans line and pumped a little in a pan. When pumping out of transmission the fluid comes out rather slowly.

I'd go to the tccoa.com site and get Jerry's e-mail address or do a search for him. I think he chimes in on most of the sites though. It does sound like you are low on trans fluid. Did you put 13 quarts back in? It sounds like torque converter shudder. The accumualtors only help in changing gears 1-2. I do not think they would cause you to have to rev it to get it to go.

Remove the cooler temporarily and double check for kinks to make sure it isnt restricting flow.. should be able to easily patch the factory lines back together with 3/8" fuel line and a some hose clamps.

It should be able to fill a 20oz bottle in well under 5 seconds.
(BTW, remote starters ROCK for trans fluid maintenance)

And you have a thick black spring, thinner white spring, and one more correct? (I can't remember which was which). The one I didn't name I didn't remove on mine. I think its the 2-3 upper spring.