4R70W Transmission removal

JJ Glo

Mar 27, 2013
I want to remove the transmission in my 02 GT so that I can replace the tranny pump o-ring and the shaft seal. Anyone know of a guide or does anyone have some tips on how to go about removing the transmission?

• Sponsors (?)

Unhook battery,raise car securely front and back, drain trans fluid by removing pan, reinstall pan,remove driveshaft, place jack under transmission, remove cross memberfrom frame and trans mount, remove torque converter bolt access plate, remove torque converter nuts,remove starter, remove shift linkage, remove nss wiring and. Vss wiring. Lower jack so trans hangs down in back, use long extension with swivel and socket on end, remove trans to engine bolts, seperate trans from block, carefully lower transmission. . Would be best to have a helper and a transmission jack. This is just the way I do it. If you try it please consult a qualified professional to verify.Also before lowering jack find a way to secure torque converter so that it doesn't fall out and either hurt someone or ly down many qts of fluid on floor, huge mess.