5.0 explorer parts for 95 mustang...is it worth it?

JDubz50

Jul 7, 2011
Minnesota
A lady I work with just bought a new car and was going to junk her old explorer. I have to double check what year it is but if I could get the parts from it for dirt cheap would it be worth it? I just know it has the 5.0 liter engine in it. Would it just be the heads/intake? Is there even that much more to gain over my stock heads/intake to make tearing my whole top end down?

• Sponsors (?)

usually I dont recommend the explorer upgrade b/c most people just end up wanting more after its done so you buy parts twice so the initial thought of saving money turns out to spending more money in the long run. BUT in this case if you get it all for dirt cheap and do the work yourself (which is not that hard) then Id say go for it. Since she was going to junk it does not seem like it has any real value.

I think it's a great place to start. Not only can you get the parts cheaper than on Craigslist or Ebay, but you'll gain experience working with these motors which is a good thing. After enjoying the power for a while you will want more, but I'll bet you'll probably get more for those parts when you sell them than what you paid for them!

I say go for it.

I thought about the "more power" thing, when I bought my Explorer top end. Yes, aluminum heads will make more power for certain.....but really...how much more. Another 30hp...maybe 40hp over the Explorer castings? For what....$1,800?!? I paid $300 for an entire Explorer engine. For that kind of money, I might as well just save a little more and add to the $1,500 I saved not going with the aluminum heads right off the bad and spring for a nice centrifugal blower. It'll add an honest 100hp and gobs of torque to whatever I'm making with the Explorer top end...and not change the drivability, or the mileage at all.