5.0 Redesign by Mitsubishi Motors

Ok....heres the question I have....Does anyone know or remember, back in the early 90's I think it was, an article that was published in either Motor Trend or Car & Driver, about the history of the 302? In that article it referred to 1985 when Ford decided to redesign the 302 and convert it over to fuel injection. In that article it also stated about the design team that Ford contracted the redesiging to-Mitsubishi motors. Does anyone know the year, month, volume number and exact magazine that article was published in??? Any help on this would be greatly appriciated...Thanks!!

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know which one and never actually heard of that. I don't think Mitsubitisi had anything to do with the actual engine, but may have had a hand in the fuel injection system; I wouldn't doubt.

This might help

http://www.performanceprobe.com/index2.cgi?redirect=http://www.performanceprobe.com/info/dates.htm

and this...

. What is the history of the Ford Probe?

A. Contributor: Erik Van-der-Mey ([email protected]) In the early 80's there was speculation that gasoline prices would exceed $2.50 per gallon. In response to that, a more fuel efficient replacement for the Ford Mustang was developed in conjunction with a small sport coupe designed and built by Mazda here in the U.S. As the release date grew near for the ÒnewÓ Ford Mustang, gasoline prices were as low as ever and Mustang afficinados voiced their displeasure with a small front-wheel drive replacement. In response, Ford kept the Mustang as is and released the Ford Probe as an additional model to its lineup. The Probe proved to be an instant hit, and Mustang sales were as strong as ever. Two cheers for Ford for bringing us the Probe and keeping the Mustang. The design for the Probe can be traced to to concept design vehicles named Probe I, II, and III If anyone has photos of these concepts, please e-mail me ([email protected])

Hope this helps

Glad I sparked some interest here...I do remember reading this article...and was extremely facinated by this article seeing that an American manufacturer wanted to work with a foreign company on such a project...thats why the article stuck in my head for all these years....I just want to find a copy of it again so I can add it to all the rest of my other Mustang memoribilia and articles.