5.4 DOHC 96GT Project

96_Stang-a-roo

Founding Member
Sep 2, 2002
Vortech and 10#'s of boost cost the 'ole 4.6 it's stock life. I'm thinking of going bigger displacement and turbo. I read of a fox guy who threw a navigator motor with 4v heads (nice little internal package too) and a 88mm turbo all together and made 713rwhp at 13#'s. What am I getting myself into here? Purpose is biggest bang for the buck (obviously). Suggestions on whether a 5.4 DOHC swap would be worth it or just go the shortblock stroker direction? Best strokers I've seen were 5.1L, which is fine too, but carry's a price tag of 3-4k depending on where your looking. I've seen junked cars with worthwhile blocks and heads for around a grand. What do you guys think?

• Sponsors (?)

if you can fab and have big pockets, do it. intake and strut tower are the biggies. my 5.4 3v fits with only 1/2" of space to the frame rails. dohc is bigger. i pased up a 5.4 4v because of the expense to make it fit and the proper size intake with low enough profile. my suggestion is the 5.4 3v. almost as much power, with only external things to fab. exhaust,piping,harness, etc. i am shooting for 400/400. this is very possible with cams and short runner intake.

Building big power Modulars seems to = expensive. But it will be cool if you do it. I don't suspect I'll ever build a modular engine up. The cost vs reward factored with emissions concerns for cars with mod motors just isn't good. Not even close for me anyway.

I love my '98 4.6 SOHC GT, but I can get as much or more power from my 302 for less money. The only Modular engine I'd toy with would be a '03-'04 Cobra. And they are out of my price range. :(

billfisher said:
if you can fab and have big pockets, do it. intake and strut tower are the biggies. my 5.4 3v fits with only 1/2" of space to the frame rails. dohc is bigger. i pased up a 5.4 4v because of the expense to make it fit and the proper size intake with low enough profile. my suggestion is the 5.4 3v. almost as much power, with only external things to fab. exhaust,piping,harness, etc. i am shooting for 400/400. this is very possible with cams and short runner intake.
Hey Bill. Do you have the 3v running yet?

:edit: Nevermind. I just read your other thread.