5.4 question

Kronos

Apr 4, 2005
the boondocks
just wanted to see if anyone has done it and what its like. Also i want to know where is the best place to get the engine i went to vtengines and i like their longblocks are their any other companys that make nodular longblocks besides them and dss

• Sponsors (?)

you don't have to relocate the strut towers. the 5.4 will bolt right up to the stock K-member and motor mounts. it even uses the same belhousing bolt pattern for trannies as the 4.6. it'll be a tight enough fit that you can't get the valve covers off without pulling the engine. but then again, if you need to pull the covers...you probably need to pull the engine regardless.

we have done a couple of them now. It is a pretty straight swap. Depending on which setup you want to go with. We have a couple of long and shortblocks that have been working out pretty good. Actually one of our shop cars has an lightning motor in it...with our custom cog system and a couple of other goodies. We have another one that we are trying to get to some time...LOL...(Its my car). That we are done one of our stage 3 motors and Fabercating our own twin turbo kit on it. Should be pretty killer. But like bornstanger said. It is a pretty straight swap. We are trying to get an kit together that will include everything. You dont have to do this but I would suggest on putting an Tublar k-member on there. Kind of kill some of the weight that you will be putting on the front of the car with the 5.4. You will have to do a little exhaust work. But not nothing big or major. And again depending on what you went with a little wiring. Let me know if I can help you out with an questions or anything. Good luck and I promise if you went this route you will love it...>TORQUE! Good luck.

Mod Man said:
we have done a couple of them now. It is a pretty straight swap. Depending on which setup you want to go with. We have a couple of long and shortblocks that have been working out pretty good. Actually one of our shop cars has an lightning motor in it...with our custom cog system and a couple of other goodies. We have another one that we are trying to get to some time...LOL...(Its my car). That we are done one of our stage 3 motors and Fabercating our own twin turbo kit on it. Should be pretty killer. But like bornstanger said. It is a pretty straight swap. We are trying to get an kit together that will include everything. You dont have to do this but I would suggest on putting an Tublar k-member on there. Kind of kill some of the weight that you will be putting on the front of the car with the 5.4. You will have to do a little exhaust work. But not nothing big or major. And again depending on what you went with a little wiring. Let me know if I can help you out with an questions or anything. Good luck and I promise if you went this route you will love it...>TORQUE! Good luck.
Where are you located? and how much do the motors you are talking about cost? The VT engine i'm looking at runs over 7 grand. Tell me a little more about your engines. :nice:

Where are you located? and how much do the motors you are talking about cost? The VT engine i'm looking at runs over 7 grand. Tell me a little more about your engines.
:stupid:

Any way at all it can be done with a stock hood? K-member spacers?

What kind of exhaust work?

5.4 DOHC (Navigator) isnt as easy, nor as cheap..so,

If your talking about 5.4 SOHC (2V) then
5.0 magazine did this. Its only about 2" taller..So the stock hood almost cleared. They just had to notch it slightly.

Im still waiting to do this swap in my car. I got an 03 Expedition 5.4 with 5K miles..just waiting..

P.S. you dont need custom intake manifolds. If you leave the manifolds on (and not install headers) the only mod that needs to be done is to lengthen the H-pipe by a couple of inches..

This swap was done in the October or November 2003 5.0 and SF. They continued it in the January 04 issue, but added cams, RR intake, etc.