5 lug conversion for front?

Discussion in '1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech' started by Apsychotic, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Apsychotic

Apsychotic New Member

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows if they make a 5 lug conversion for the ll? I have a 9" in the rear w/ 5 lug, want the front wheels to match. thanks in advance, Apsychotic
  2. a351Must2

a351Must2 Windsor II Founding Member

3. 98CobraClone

98CobraClone New Member

can't you just use ranger rotors?
  4. Apsychotic

Apsychotic New Member

????

Not sure, if ranger rotors will fit, that would be the cheapest route for sure. let me know....thanks
  5. Blue coyote

Blue coyote Founding Member

It might not help if the 9" has the "fullsize" 5 on 5.5 pattern. Rangers use a 5 on 4.5 pattern (like the Comet/Maverick V8 cars) One of these days I'll find out if the Ranger rotors fit, because I have a 5 lug Comet 8" diff and a total of 4 Ranger based vehicles to rob parts from for a 5 lug conversion....
  6. 1badII

1badII Member

Plenty. I'll be going with a Baer kit.
  7. 78CobraII

78CobraII Moderator

If you don't need to increase your braking power any, then the 9" diameter, 5-on-4.5" rotors commonly sold for Street Rods are what you need. They are a straight swap for the factory rotors and use the factory calipers. Cost between $100 and $150 for 2 rotors.

Here is a set on eBay (not mine):
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2444947228&category=34199

If you need to increase your braking power, the cheapest way is to use early Granada 11" diameter 5-on-4.5" rotors and new calipers and mounts. The calipers are GM-style (Wilwood sells some if you can't stand the GM label) and the caliper mounts are aftermarket. This gets you a moderate increase in braking power (maybe 40%?). Cost is probably $300 if you hunt the parts down yourself.

If you want a major increase in braking power, you have to go to Stainless Steel Brakes (SSB), Baer Racing, or Wilwood. The parts are all aftermarket, and the cost can be pretty steep.
  8. Apsychotic

Apsychotic New Member

Thanks!

Super, I'm gong with the rotors on Ebay! they are perfect for my needs! thanks a 100 II's! Solved my situation immediately! Apsychotic