5 spd vs. 5 spd

Evil SS

Oct 25, 2004
Does anyone know the gear ratios of the Auto and the manual tranny yet? I would like to see them side by side with the final drive and all. We could really come up with a conclusion on what "Should" be faster.

• Sponsors (?)

T-3650 MTX ratios are: 3.38, 2.00, 1.32, 1.00, 0.62
Rear end is 3.55

5R55S ATX ratios are: 3.22, 2.29, 1.54, 1.00, 0.71
Rear end is 3.31

You have to tell us what you mean by "Faster"

0-60
1/4 mile
top speed
or ???

It appears they will be even to 60, perhaps with a slight edge to the auto even. Tests so far have been filled with praise for the auto's lowend. Topend the Manual takes it easy, because the 4th and 5th gear in the auto are said to be mileage gears, not meant for pulling.

So far, quarter mile times are similar. I imagine the fastest times will be had with the manual, but it will be much closer than with previous mustang incarnations.

SadbutTrue said:
It appears they will be even to 60, perhaps with a slight edge to the auto even. Tests so far have been filled with praise for the auto's lowend. Topend the Manual takes it easy, because the 4th and 5th gear in the auto are said to be mileage gears, not meant for pulling.

So far, quarter mile times are similar. I imagine the fastest times will be had with the manual, but it will be much closer than with previous mustang incarnations.

If the 4th and 5th gears in the T-3650 MTX are "mileage gears", I'm wondering how nobody (as far as I know) has yet complained about the 5th and 6th gears in the T-56 M12 in Pontiac's GTO? For reference, those are 0.74 and 0.5, respectively. The GTO's final drive is also lower than the Mustang's, at (if memory serves correctly) 3.31, with 17" tires.

calypsocoral302 said:
If the 4th and 5th gears in the T-3650 MTX are "mileage gears", I'm wondering how nobody (as far as I know) has yet complained about the 5th and 6th gears in the T-56 M12 in Pontiac's GTO? For reference, those are 0.74 and 0.5, respectively. The GTO's final drive is also lower than the Mustang's, at (if memory serves correctly) 3.31, with 17" tires.

I already covered this on one of the other GTO topics.

The GTO has a 3.46 rear end ratio (at least for the MTX, I don't know if the ATX is different).

Tires are 245/45/17, same as the SN95 Mustangs.

However since the tires on the GTO are smaller in diameter than the '05 Stang, the GTO effectively has a 3.66 rear end ratio as compared to the '05 Stang MTX. Or conversely the Stang has a 3.35 rear end compared to the GTO's 3.46 when ajusted for tire diameter. And the '05 Stang ATX has an effective rato of 3.13 compared to the GTO.