5 speed conversion...best money ever spent!

PickupMan

Founding Member
Jan 30, 2000
Hazleton, Pa
I finally got the 5 speed in the car after a few months of sitting on jackstands!! Due to lack of time and money this project was put on hold till just recently. Anyway If you are thinking of installing a 5 speed then think no more....DO IT! Man what a differance from the 4 speed. This thing is super smooth and that 5th gear is God sent!! I used the Mustangsteve cable clutch conversion...takes a little longer but well worth it in the end. The 5 speed is from a 96 6cyl mustang. I had to change the input shaft and the metal sleeve that the throw out bearing rides on. A little bit of a pain but the tranny was free!! B and M ripper shifter...free as well but a little too short. I replaced the yoke on the driveshaft and I still have about an inch of play...could shorten the diveshaft 1/2". I ran into some issues with the flywheel due to it had an 11" setup in it and I didn't know it. All in all it paid for it's self the first time out with it. If you need any info on the swap I'll be more than happy to help as there are guys and gals on here that have done the swap as well. Good luck!!

• Sponsors (?)

Will a V6 trans support the output of your car?

I know the older I4 T5s in the fox bodies had smaller input shafts and lower torque ratings, but I'm not sure about the V6 models.

Glad to hear the conversion went well, I used to have a Boss302 with a cleveland in it and had a 4.10 and 2.75 9" diff's I'd swap out... 5th gear would have made it a whole lot nicer!

milner351 said:
Will a V6 trans support the output of your car?

I know the older I4 T5s in the fox bodies had smaller input shafts and lower torque ratings, but I'm not sure about the V6 models.

Glad to hear the conversion went well, I used to have a Boss302 with a cleveland in it and had a 4.10 and 2.75 9" diff's I'd swap out... 5th gear would have made it a whole lot nicer!

I agree.................it really comes in handy here:

daytona1w4il.jpg

7000 RPM's and 145 MPH.......

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com

Attachments

• daytona1w4il.jpg
    daytona1w4il.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 64
I just drove my Mustang today after a year of rebuilding the engine and swapping in a t-5, it blew me away, it is like a completly different car and even with the 2.80's out back it pulls twice as hard as it ever did.

I believe the V6 tranny is rated for 265 ft lb of torque. I don't know what my engine is making but if I ever get a carb that works I'm sure it will be pretty close to that. I don't push the car all that hard but when I do I'm sure I'm pushing the limits on the tranny.

As far as routing the cable I didn't think it would work with my headers but I did some tweaking and it worked out pretty well. I wrapped the cable with protective heat resistant wrap. Then routed it down between #6 and 7 header tubes. Installed cable to bellhousing and hooked everything up. I then zip tied the cable to the drivers side shock mount and used the bracket from the cable (the one they tell you to remove and throw it away) to help keep the cable from touching the heades. I just put it in a vise and twisted it a bit and mounted it to the steering box. If you want pics i'll post.

If you like it with a V-8, you'll love it with an I-6!

When I dropped mine in behind the 200 6 cylinder, I couldn't believe it was the same engine. I put the T5z version (for the V8 swap coming later). What an absolute sweet heart. I can actually merge onto the freeway at 65 now.

Scott